Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

2504 WLC

Answered Question
Feb 6th, 2017
User Badges:

Hi all,

I am having an issue with deploying 2504 WLC for multiple SSIDs with different VLANS. I cant seem to make the access points to join the controller on a trunk port. they only work when the WLC is connected to an access port. Anyone encounter this or has a solution? Thank you in advance

Correct Answer by pieterh about 6 months 1 week ago

the native vlan on the switchport is the vlan for "untagged packets"
th make the controller and switch match:

1) in the controller you can specify vlan "0" for the management interface
this results in untagged packets to send to the switchport
so set the switchport to access or set the native vlan to make a match.

2) alternatively set the switchport to trunk
and set the management vlan id in the controller to the desired vlan id (something other than "0").

if the management vlan is on a different subnet than the AP, you can help the AP to discover the controller by using DNS entry or DHCP option.

if you use multiple controller ports to the same switch, this also needs some extra attention.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 02/06/2017 - 12:47
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I cant seem to make the access points to join the controller on a trunk port. they only work when the WLC is connected to an access port. Anyone encounter this or has a solution?

APs in H-REAP/FlexConnect solution connect to a trunk port.

kennedymacharia Mon, 02/06/2017 - 21:52
User Badges:

Hi Leo and Chandana, 

Thanks for the reply. I am not doing flexconnect they are just local APs but should be in different SSID With different VLans. The APs are on access ports and that is good but I think the controller should be on a trunk port for this to work right? Are you saying that I should ignore the native vlan and put the management vlan as the native vlan on the trunk?

Correct Answer
pieterh Tue, 02/07/2017 - 00:00
User Badges:

the native vlan on the switchport is the vlan for "untagged packets"
th make the controller and switch match:

1) in the controller you can specify vlan "0" for the management interface
this results in untagged packets to send to the switchport
so set the switchport to access or set the native vlan to make a match.

2) alternatively set the switchport to trunk
and set the management vlan id in the controller to the desired vlan id (something other than "0").

if the management vlan is on a different subnet than the AP, you can help the AP to discover the controller by using DNS entry or DHCP option.

if you use multiple controller ports to the same switch, this also needs some extra attention.

Chandana Abeysinghe Mon, 02/06/2017 - 19:46
User Badges:

Native VLAN of the trunk port should be set to management VLAN of the access point.

As Leo mentioned above, trunk ports for local mode APs are not necessary. Access mode ports are the best practice for local mode APs.

For Flex Connect APs, trunk port is a must with the native management vlan and same vlan should be used for native vlan in the flex connect configuration of AP or flex connect group.

-Chandana

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network