cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE tunnel

jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

i have formed a GRE tunnel between R1 and R4.how do i send traffic via that tunnel ?
if i traceroute 6.6.6.6 loopback address from R4 it
doesnt go via tunnel .output shows 192.168.3.1 / 192.168.2.1/192.168.1.1 

i have attached the topology below 

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like other links, your two tunnel endpoints only know of the connected tunnel interface's network.  To use the tunnel for transit, you need to have routes that identify networks on the other side of the tunnel.

For example, for R4's 10.1.1.2 to ping R1's 6.6.6.6 you would need:

ip route 6.6.6.6 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1

Hi

Try to use a static route example:

ip route 6.6.6.6 255.255.255.255 <destination IP of tunnel>

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

A GRE tunnel is much like other interfaces in terms of how you get traffic to go through them. There must be entries in the routing table which specify this interface as the exit point to reach the next hop address. These entries might be static routes as suggested in the previous responses or might be routes from a dynamic routing protocol. If you are running a dynamic routing protocol (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP) just make sure that there is a network entry in the routing protocol configuration that matches the IP or subnet of the GRE tunnel.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for your answer.i know how to send traffic via static route.May i know how to do it via dynamic route

For dynamic routing, you treat the tunnel link much as you would as any other link.  However, what you have to be careful of, is recursive routing, which is where both the tunnel link and the underlying physical links are both in the same dynamic routing protocol.  Normally you would have static routes for the tunnel endpoints that have a better AD than the dynamic routing protocol.

Hi

For example 

R4

Router ospf 100
Network 10.1.1.2 0.0.0.0 area 0
net 4.4.4.4 0.0.0.0 area 0 

R6

Router ospf 100
Network 10.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
net 6.6.6.6 0.0.0.0 area 0

The tunnel IPs is added to the dynamic routing protocol and if you want to advertise the loopbacks it should be included as well.

Please rate the comment it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card