Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Chassis move to another domain under another Fabric Interconnect

exkeeping1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have to upgrade firmwares on 11 Blade servers and IOM in 2 chassis that is connecting with new Fabric Interconnect before adding the 2 chassis to existing Fabric Interconnect (different domain).

ESXi will be installed on the server after attaching to existing FIs.

Firmawre version of existing FIs is 2.2.8f.

New FI is 2.2.6e

I will first upgrade the servers, IO Modules, UCS Manager and new FIs to 2.2.8f and then the 2 chassis will be added to existing domain.

One thing i have a concern, the blade servers and two chassis will be connected to new one FI with only 1*10G TwinX Cable on each chassis.

so only  IO module-1 on each chassis will be upgraded to 2.2.8f firmware but not IO module-2.

Is it possible to move UCS blades and chassis to another domain after upgrading firmwares?

Is it possible to upgrade firmware of IO module-2 after attaching to existing FIs?

anybody help this issue?

3 Replies 3

Yasser Al-Alem
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it possible to move UCS blades and chassis to another domain after upgrading firmware?

yes, you can as long the blade and IOM FE is compatible with the domain.

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware of IO module-2 after attaching to existing FIs?

since the servers are not in production, add all the new IOM,  blades to the existing domain and then upgrade FW of IOMs and blades.

don't underestimate the case:

1) Moving a blade (resp a service profile) to another domain has tricky implications; e.g. you will use new (most likely totally different values) of UUID, mac, pwwn and nwwn; the pools in the different domains are most likely not identical !

2) If you have installed OS on local disk: before the move you need to disassociate the SP, and on the new domain, you have to make sure, that the SP is associated to the proper blade (with the OS installed on their local disk).

3) power on the new chassis sequentially, otherwise the order of discovery is not deterministic

Thanks guys.

As you said, there are several things to check on UCS system such as all of information each SP.

I will update the result after updating the firmware of UCS system to new domain on this post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card