Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 8501 - Openstack

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I have a 8501, and I want to install openstack in it, has any one done this or , any best practices?

thanks all

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The steps are:

1) Install CentOS or RHEL on one of your servers

2) Download and install packstack just as it is mentioned in the links I provided

3) Execute a packstack all-in-one installation

4) Install CentOS or RHEL in your other two servers

5) Execute the add-compute-node procedure and include the IP address of the other nodes that you installed in step 4, the procedure is executed from your initial node installed i.e. same place you executed step 3.

What it will do is connect via ssh to the other nodes and download all packages and everything required.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have not done this, but UCS can be integrated with Openstack.

Have a look at this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/data-center-virtualization/openstack-at-cisco/ucs-red-hat-openstack.html

HTH

Hello,

But can I use the ucs, as an openstack box? Instead of having my ESXI I want to have openstack, can I do that?

thanks

Yes you can, if you are looking for testing you can install devstack or packstack.

You should think of KVM (there are other options, including leaving your ESXi) as your ESXi in VMware and openstack as the vCenter that helps manage your hosts (from the networking, storage, compute, etc. perspective)

Hello Luis,

Thanks for your update, you think it will be good Idea leave the ESXI and then the Openstack?

Is there any doc Cisco has about this ?

thanks. 

I would not leave ESXi, I would install KVM (packstack will do that for you), but you do need to install the Linux OS. How many servers do you have? Is it just one ? You can do what is called an All-In-One openstack installation, if you have more than one you can use one for control functions and both of them for compute. I am not aware of any Cisco doc on this, but it is just a matter of installing an Operating System (CentOS or RHEL) in each server and then executing the packstack installation, the page has a step by step guide.

I will have 3 servers, I will do the install of the OS via the CIMC, in the UCS I have 4 hard drives. 

thanks. 

I would go with packstack. Use one of the servers as control, network and compute node and install compute on the other two.

Like I said it is all done using packstack you can start by installing in a single node and then adding more compute nodes, that way it may be easier.

When I do the install via the CIMC, and install the OS in this case redhat i will loose all the info, what I dont understand is how in this server I can install 2 or 3 nodes, because I will only have on OS.

I have 4 hard drivers, I will install via CIMC Redhat, this will delete all the info I have in my hard drives, how can i then install one compute and one controller?

thanks.

The steps are:

1) Install CentOS or RHEL on one of your servers

2) Download and install packstack just as it is mentioned in the links I provided

3) Execute a packstack all-in-one installation

4) Install CentOS or RHEL in your other two servers

5) Execute the add-compute-node procedure and include the IP address of the other nodes that you installed in step 4, the procedure is executed from your initial node installed i.e. same place you executed step 3.

What it will do is connect via ssh to the other nodes and download all packages and everything required.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card