cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Voicemail Box? (CUCM 10.5.2)

maxman190
Level 1
Level 1

Long story short, I got placed in a job where the place decided to outsource IT, fired all resident tech without proper documentation....

I'm just lost! Okay, I've configured the phone (Cisco 8961), attached my DN (1111), and selected a voicemail profile to be used. I'm able to receive calls, so I thought I did it right. Except, when I call it and wait for voicemail, I get a generic greeting like "No administrator is available to help, if you know your party's extension, please enter it now".

I compared my phone setting and my DN setting with another user's (also using 8961) setting that I KNOW has working voicemail, it is EXACTLY the same. VM-ports, VM-pilot, VM-profile are all already set up from the existing system, so it's not a bare CUCM configuration.

Is there a hidden setting that I need to do to create an active voicemail box for my DN? (Or is voicemail box in phone setting and not set to DN?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should be able to tell that once you go to the IP (it will clearly say: Cisco something), if it's SCCP integrated I doubt it would be other vendor, but yes, there are some 3rd party vendor options that people also use.

You will need to login to do any changes.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CUCM just takes cares of call routing, CUCM is not a voicemail system, that is another server.

You need to find out who that box is, and login to create the user on that side.

You should be able to find the IP under the VM port registration if using SCCP, or the SIP trunk.

HTH

java

Oh, so all CUCM does is route the call to the voicemail server? Voicemail server is separate? What am I trying to look for? I took a look at the VM ports, there's hundreds of them, but it's assigned to the same IP. When I went to that IP, it brings me to CUCA, is that what I'm looking for?

Yes, voicemail is a separate server. If you're in the Unity Connection admin page, you need to login.

Managing the voice servers does require a good level of knowledge to understand how everything fits together, jumping in with no knowledge and changing something, might cause a lot of issues if you do not understand how this works. It would be in the company's best interest to either provide you with the proper training, or have someone knowledgeable to manage the system.

HTH

java

I think the company doesn't care about its own interest when they fired their IT department just to save $5000 every year. I've brought it to their attention MANY times, they just shrug it off. So, I'm just doing the best I can.

Is the voicemail server also a Cisco product? I saw some message box option in CUCA, but I don't see an option to create a new message box for a user/extension.

You should be able to tell that once you go to the IP (it will clearly say: Cisco something), if it's SCCP integrated I doubt it would be other vendor, but yes, there are some 3rd party vendor options that people also use.

You will need to login to do any changes.

HTH

java

Ah, I was able to figure it out. Even though the users are imported through active LDAP into CUCM, in CUCA, a user with mailbox has to be created as well... I am able to log in to view the bare minimum, but unfortunately have no access to add or edit users.... sigh...

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: