Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual routers - 2 ISP's with BGP

Ralphy006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,
I currently have 2 routers: router1 and router2.

I currently have 2 ISP's: ISP1 and ISP2

Behind router1 and router2, I have a firewall. Router1 and Router2 are doing HSRP, with router1 being the active.

The firewall's default route points to the HSRP VIP.

The HSRP only effects my outbound traffic. Inbound traffic comes in via router1/ISP1 or router2/ISP2 depending on AS-PATH on the internet.

I am used to an environment with only 1 router, and multiple ISP's. At that point the single router can decide the optimal outbound path via BGP (AS-PATH).

However, now that I have 2 routers, I am struggling with deciding the best way to load-share outbound traffic. Even if I have iBGP running between router1 and router2, eBGP is preferred over iBGP (assuming no local-pref changes)

The options I could find to load-balance outbound traffic:
-GLBP instead of HSRP
-IGP advertising 2 equal-cost default routes to the firewall.
-Set Local-pref higher for half of all internet routes on router1, and the local-pref higher for the other half on router2. iBGP between both routers

Any thoughts on what's best practice? Is there a way to make it so it's as if I have 1 router learning eBGP routes from 2 ISP's and choose the best path via AS-PATH?

Thanks!!!!

2 Replies 2

Hello,

have a look at the website below, especially topology 5 and 6,it has several sample configs for HSRP load sharing:

http://showipbgp.com/bgp-configurations/cisco.html

Nice and valuable link

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card