cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One pxe, two dhcp in different subnets

tofara
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with pxe on two subnets 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.21.0/24. Pxe is in 192.168.1.0/24 network and there is dhcp there. I am able to pxe boot when i am in this network not in 192.168.21.0/24 network. I am able to communication between networks.  i have a cisco 1841 in the existing network and i brought in another 1841 to add more subnets about three including this 192.168.21.0/24.  There a leg going back to the existing network with IP 192.168.1.253  connected to a switch in the existing network. So communicaton between all these networks its fine only PXE from 192.168.21.0/24 to 192.168.1.10 pxe server i get TFTP time out. what can i do to fix this , i dont have dhcp-helper on my router 

5 Replies 5

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are the devices on the 192.168.21.0 network able to acquire an IP address?

You state that you have two 1841 routers connected via switch? Could you perhaps provide a simple diagram and even configs? It is more than likely a simple fix but some clarification would help.

Thanks

The title of the post mentions two DHCP in different subnets but the text of the post mentions only DHCP for 192.168.1.0. Can the original poster provide some clarification of this?

I agree that seeing configs would be very helpful. In particular I would like to see whether there are ip helper-address configured for the 192.168.21.0 network to access the PXE server.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Day Richard

My apology in responding late i was out of office offline.

I have two dhcp one on each network . But all is well now manage to find a service bound to port 69. I thought i needed to configure cisco router to be able to archive this but as long the tftp server can talk to the dhcp in different networks it works 100%

Thank you for your help

Thanks for posting back to the forum and letting us know that you have solved the problem yourself and that the issue was a service on the server bound to port 69. We are especially happy when people post about a problem and then are able to find their own solution to the problem. So congratulations to you for solving your own problem. +5 to you for this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi chrihussey

My apology i was out of office on a project.

Yes hosts in 192.168.21.0/24 are getting IPs fine in that network , then on booting up the tftp image it was timing out.

When i came back i did go through  pxe server again and i find out another service bound to port 69, although the tftpd demon was running fine.  This fixed and i was able to boot without any other configs on the router. Thank you for your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card