Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Interface incorrectly configured from DHCP

ciprian.cramer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My internet connection is given through an ONT provided by the ISP and a static ip address...

Yesterday, I asked my ISP Provider to put the ONT in bridge mode and I tried to get the configuration on my 2811 Router interface using the command ip address dhcp

configuration is different from that obtained on a computer configured with Windows ...when i put the ethernet cable to my PC, the connection to internet through DHCP works well, but when i put the cable to the router, I don't get the correct configuration through DHCP

The static IP address provided by ISP is 109.105.205.148 mask 255.255.255.192 gateway 109.105.205.129 - this is good configuration achieved through DHCP on my Windows PC (picture a)

The router configuration are shown in pictures b, c, d ... this is incorrect configuration achieved from DHCP on my router

can you tell me what extra commands are needed?

I also attached running-config file

P.S. excuse my poor english

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is quite odd and I suspect that there is something about this environment that we do not know which would help explain what is going on.

I do see the address used by the PC and that it is different from the address used by the router. I do notice in the information in the connections screen shot from the PC that the DHCP server is 92.81.19.1. And I notice that the address used by the router is 92.81.19.49. So it looks like the router is learning its IP address from the server identified in the connection for the PC. Why the ONT or the network to which it connects seems to have two pools of IP addresses is not anything that I can currently explain.

The router config is quite bare bones but I do not see any issues with it. After you connect the router and it learns its IP address have you attempted to ping from the router to its gateway 92.81.19.1? Have you attempted to ping anything in the Internet like 8.8.4.4?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

A few minutes ago I made the connection work.

I configured manually IP Address, name-servers and gateway of last resort in routing table and it worked (after 1 hour)

I suppose it was something about dhcp client-id

Thanks anyway

Thanks for posting back to the forum and letting us know that you did get it to work. I am glad that you found a solution for your problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card