Views
Helpful
Replies

logging rate-limit on Nexus

tobiasdreyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have the requirement to disable the syslog rate-limiting for a special syslog message on Nexus switches. We have a management system, which tracks the syslog-events which occur, when you leave the config mode e.g.

08:46:27.126 SWITCH %VSHD-5-VSHD_SYSLOG_CONFIG_I: Configured from vty by admin on 10.1.1.1@pts/0 

When this event is seen, the management system takes a snapshot of the config. Due to the default rate-limit of syslog-events, you get only messages like this:

2017 Mar 3 08:50:29.358 SWITCH last message repeated 1 time 

when you leave the config mode more than once. So the management system does not track the config changes, because there is no pattern to match. As far as I can see, you can only disable the rate-limiting for syslog globaly. But this is not what I want, because in most times this is a useful feature. Is there a way to disable it for this special syslog event I want to track?

Best regards,

Tobias

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tobias,

To disable specifc Syslog messages , I would suggest try with Logging discriminator command.

For example
logging discriminator ENV severity drops 4 facility drops ENVMON mnemonics drops FAN_LOW_RPM

And have look on the below link for more information ..

Logging Discriminator

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Hi Ganesh,

thank you for your reply. But the logging discriminator command is not available in NXOS.

Best regards,

Tobias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: