cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Vlan setup for a beginner

mikemilewsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, I am starting a very small project and need some assistance if possible. Al of the videos I watch tend to explain things as if the user is already familiar...I am not so please, bear with me. 

We have a portion of our staff (about 20%) who use Skype for business exclusively to see clients remotely. We are on a domain but do not want our Skype traffic to be on the same network. What is the best way to put these specific computers on a separate, secure network and allocate bandwidth so that these computers are operating at the fastest rate possible? We are setup now with a ISP-Our Sonic wall Firewall-our network. Not sure if that helps but am wanting to create network for these computers so they are not using the same bandwidth as the other 80% of the organization. I am not very familiar with setting this up alone so the more information the better! Have have Cisco 48 port Gigabit smart  switch Netgear 48 port 10/100 switch and sonic wall firewall. 

I need to know exactly what to do. We have 3 subnets (buildings) now and want all of these people using this to be on their own network.

So at building 1 the subnet is (these are examples not the real addresses) 10.10.30.xx 

Building 2 10.10.20.xx

Building 3 10.10.40.xx

So would it be best to have a vlan at each location? I just need to know what to do, and have it explained in a way that someone who is new with cisco can understand, plus giving those computers the highest bandwidth possible and to not be using the same bandwidth as the rest of the org

3 Replies 3

mikemilewsky
Level 1
Level 1

So no help here?

m jack
Level 1
Level 1

Can you not configure QoS on the Sonic Firewall for Video conferencing apps or specify the app for QoS

As I stated in my post, I am not familiar with this, nor have I done it. that is what I asked for specific steps. I appreciate the response but it seems like you did not read my post because you did the exact opposite. I do not know what you are talking about, that is why I asked for steps or clear instructions. You gave me a question...it always seems like no matter what forum I am on, no matter if I say I am new and need clear instruction, someone HAS to post an answer geared towards someone who obviously would need to have experience to understand.

Can anyone else please shed some light?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X