Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3850

moviesvl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm totally uninformed about the subject and also I'm quite stupid, so I do not understand one thing and I need to know it:

Is Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch wireless device, or is it not? Does it have built in hardware for emitting and receiving radio frequencies?

If it does not, if it is strictly wired device, could someone please point me to the technical specification that makes that fact clearly obvious.

If however 3850 is capable of transferring data over radio frequencies, could someone please point me to the technical spec that makes that fact clear and obvious?

I need this info for the purpose of import of this device and duty rates which vary in regard to above difference.

Thank you in advance.

Vladan 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pematthe
Level 1
Level 1

The 3850 (and 3650) are classified as Unified Access switches.  That means they have a wireless (WLAN) and wired (LAN) capability. 

That translates to being suitable as a switch and a Wireless LAN Controller for Access Points.  It has no radio capability in its own right, but can act as command and control for Cisco access points. It is APs that do the radio (wifi) bit.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/index.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pematthe
Level 1
Level 1

The 3850 (and 3650) are classified as Unified Access switches.  That means they have a wireless (WLAN) and wired (LAN) capability. 

That translates to being suitable as a switch and a Wireless LAN Controller for Access Points.  It has no radio capability in its own right, but can act as command and control for Cisco access points. It is APs that do the radio (wifi) bit.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/index.html

Penmatthe,

thank you for your prompt answer.

Now if you could help me some more ...

When customs officer searches the web for 3850, he will see "wireless" written all over the place.

Is there some specific piece of data can I show to an uninformed layman, who's only intention is to take some money from me if the device has wireless capability,  so they believe me 3850 is not of that kind. 

Apart from printing out a copy of the 3850 data sheet for the customs man to read, there isn't much.  I do not know of any Cisco document that says "this box has no radio capability"

Compare an AP data sheet with all the RF, power, regulatory and radio capabilities  with the 3850 data sheet which primarily focusses on switch functions.

It is worth noting that the WLC part of the switch doesn't do anything if there is no license applied (as far as I know)  With out a license, it is just a switch.

Thank You. This was helpful.

Penmatthe,

sorry to disturb you again, but could you please tell me if the same reasoning apply to

AIR-CT5508 wireless Controller,

is that device also not wireless, or maybe that one is wireless.

Brgds,

Vladan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card