cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA and Cisco switch

mark l
Level 1
Level 1

We are using Cisco Switches, recently planning to roll out Cisco SPA phones. Cisco Switch supports CDP, what Vlan settings do I have to configure on the SPA phones?

On the cisco switch we plan to configure vlan 100 for data, vlan 200 for voice.

The below is the default setting on SPA phones, do I have to configure any? If we leave the below settings as default, is Cisco switch able to auto assign traffic to vlan 100 and 200?

Enable VLAN: No Enable CDP: YEs
Enable LLDP-MED: YES Network Startup Delay: 3
VLAN ID: 1  PC Port VLAN Highest Priority: No limit
Enable PC Port VLAN Tagging:  NO PC Port VLAN ID: 1

Enable VLAN:     Enable CDP:    
Enable LLDP-MED:     Network Startup Delay:    
VLAN ID:     PC Port VLAN Highest Priority:    
Enable PC Port VLAN Tagging:     PC Port VLAN ID:    

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Recommended practice is to have switch port configured in access mode delivering VLAN100  data (PC) packets untagged with voice vlan 200 (this voice packets are carried tagged). In such case CDP/LLDP should work.

I'm unsure the CDP will work as expected for you if you will configure switch port to be trunk carrying both 100 and 200 tagged. In such case CDP doesn't know which VLAN is voice and which data, so I assume it will not work. But try it.

I will configure the switch as 'recommended practice', in this case, on the SPA phones, do I have to alter these default settings?

Enable VLAN: No

VLAN ID: 1

Enable PC Port VLAN Tagging:  NO

PC Port VLAN ID: 1

It should work with CDP/LLDP turned on.

But before roll out you should test overall configuration by self - to verify it works according your wishes.

sudhagup
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please share details about the Cisco Switch you are using in this scenario.

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 200

switchport access vlan 100

I wanted to know the hardware and software version of the device with which SPA phone is connected.

Please share that...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: