cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Several features not working with 3.2.1

billlippai
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using cli analyzer since version 3.0 and have not had any issues to note running under Windows 7 Enterprise. Since upgrading to version 3.2.1, I have had several issues including a capture buffer dump that caused a configuration mess on one of our core Nexus devices. As I like this software over other terminal emulators I have used, I want to ensure that issues are being reported.

As standard practice, the configuration files are backed up prior to making changes. The upgrade version 3.2.1 appears to have an issue with capturing the output and saving files. Turning on the logging button, doing a show run, and shutting off logging brings up the save file dialog. Clicking on save causes the dialog to disappear, however checking the directory where the file was to be saved shows that no file exists. The capture buffer seems to be empty resulting in no file being created or written.

This same issue also affects the export function of the software. I have been doing a monthly export of all of the devices added to the device as a backup. I attempted a backup with version 3.2.1 and the same process occurs. I get a dialog box, name the file, click save and it disappears. No file is created however in the directory with the name.

The third issue that appears to be occurring is a significant delay in the copy-paste functionality of this version. Without the files saving, I moved to highlighting a configuration and copying into notepad to save. In doing a highlight and ctrl-c the software seems to lock up temporarily. The same behavior was noted with the right click function. Doing a quick capture and then flipping over to notepad, the paste still contains the previous paste. However if you allow the software to sit there for an extended period until it starts responding (up to minutes to do so), the capture finally drops into the buffer and can be pasted.

The major issue I indicated above occurred after I conducted the third issue process. I captured the configuration from one member of the two core switches, had a delay to wait for the info to drop into the buffer, pasted it into notepad and saved the first file. I repeated this with the second member. Once I had saved the second file, I went to the configuration script I had in a third notepad file. I highlighted the first part of the change, entered config mode on the first switch and did a right click paste. The first few lines of the command went into the device, followed by streams of random buffer output that just scrolled the screen. I could do nothing but watch the rejection and acceptance of random mixed commands from the previous cut and pastes destroying the operating configuration with no way to break out. The end result was a badly broken configuration that contained a mix of the configurations i.e. during the process the switch 1 name changed to the name of switch 2, however the management interface IP (thank random chance) did not get touched so I never lost contact with the switch. After several hours of manually clearing bad extra configuration through putty, the switch was finally back to normal. In 20 years of working in networking, I knew about buffer overflows but I have never seen such a thing occur directly. 

Hopefully some serious work is done to improve the issues noted above that appeared with the upgrade to version 3.2.1. For the interim, I have uninstalled the version and moved back to 3.1.0.   

3 Replies 3

John Bollier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

We tried to reach out via your email address, but have been unsuccessful. Can you please use the Feedback option within CLI Analyzer to reach out and share good contact information so we can work with you on this?

Thanks,

John

Ritesh Desai
Spotlight
Spotlight

billlippai  

Agree to 1st issue which I also faced. i.e. Saving log files and does not show in directory.

jbollier  

I will highlight 1 more issue regarding Cisco VOS SSH.

When you login to Cisco VOS like CUCM, Finesse, CUC, CUIC, etc. when you type command "show ?" it automatically executes Running "show version"... command and it takes long time. This was not the case with earlier version.

Please fix this in newer version.

thanks & regards,

Ritesh Desai.

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai

Hi Ritesh,

Thank you for reaching out. We will have the log file issue corrected in release 3.3.0. That should be out this week. We will also have NX-OS System Diagnostics in this release as well.

The CUCM "show ?" issue appears to be triggered by network delays. It is something we will need to address post 3.3.0.

Best Regards,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: