Views
Helpful
Replies

Need REP alternative for ASR9ks

Paula Cotillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Currently using REP for ME4900s and 7600s.

7600s are going to be replaced by ASR9ks.

Seems that ASR9ks don't support REP, so we're looking for the alternative to continue to use a similar technology (ASR9ks with ME4900s).

Is the answer for the ASR9ks G.8032 Rings? If so, do the ME4900s support it?
Appreaciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Paula.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi paula,

yeah REP has been "superseded" by a lot of new technologies. In fact if you have an l3 routed ring, using LFA gives you msec convergence already.

a9k does support REP-AG, access-gateway, this means the a9k can be the endpoint of the ring and use the rep triggers for mac flush and communicate status into the ring, it just doesnt participate in rep like an intermediate switch in that regard.

so as long as you terminate the rings on the a9k, you can use REP-AG, otherwise CFM/8032 (which also seems to lose some interest though) or Y1731 are also options.

Possibly even MST-/AG is maybe an option too!

cheers!

xander

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi paula,

yeah REP has been "superseded" by a lot of new technologies. In fact if you have an l3 routed ring, using LFA gives you msec convergence already.

a9k does support REP-AG, access-gateway, this means the a9k can be the endpoint of the ring and use the rep triggers for mac flush and communicate status into the ring, it just doesnt participate in rep like an intermediate switch in that regard.

so as long as you terminate the rings on the a9k, you can use REP-AG, otherwise CFM/8032 (which also seems to lose some interest though) or Y1731 are also options.

Possibly even MST-/AG is maybe an option too!

cheers!

xander

Hey Xander, thank you for looking into this! 

The 7600s are indeed the REP endpoints. This mean that we can just use the ASR9ks as REP-AG and that's it!

Should we be looking into CFM/8032, Y1731 or MST/AG instead? 

Thanks again! 

Paula.

hey there paula!

ah perfect, then for the migration to make it one for one, you can use REP-AG, but yeah down the line I would look into the alternatives.

Although there are no plans to obsolete REP-AG on IOSXR it is always good to keep an eye open and "stay current" :)

cheers!

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: