Views
Helpful
Replies

Add NAT to allow AnyConnect VPN to access local subnets

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I've recently factory reset our ASA (moved buildings) and it's all up and working now and users have local desktop Internet access.

I'm now configuring the AnyConnect client and when connected my laptop can access our remote subent where our servers are via the inside interface and over a WAN link, but not a subnet local to the ASA in our LAN.

The VPN subnet is 172.29.11.x/24 and I added a NAT which seem to fix this issue, but stop access to the internet from the local desktops.  SO I removed to get it working again.  What NAT statement should I add to allow 172.29.11.x/24 to access the local Subnet 172.29.12.x/24 and keep the Internet working?

Current NAT is:

object network HQ
nat (inside,outside) dynamic interface
object network Guest-network
nat (GUEST,outside) dynamic interface
object network Guest2-network
nat (GUEST2,outside) dynamic interface
object network Guest3-network
nat (GUEST3,outside) dynamic interface

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Add a NAT exemption line between your VPN subnet and LAN subnet, so that this traffic does not get translated. Also, the dynamic NAT for internet access wont be affected as the exemption only works between VPN and local LAN subnets.

Look at the nat exemption configuration given in this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/119006-configure-anyconnect-00.html

Added this to fix:

nat (inside,outside) source static any any destination static NETWORK_OBJ_172.29.11.0_24 NETWORK_OBJ_172.29.11.0_24 no-proxy-arp route-lookup

Thanks

The only issue I have now is when connected to the VPN I can browse anything internally but not on the internet.

Great. The same guide will have a section to configure "Split Tunneling". This allows VPN access for the networks that you need (Office LAN). The rest of the networks should take your existing default route via your client ISP.

What if i want a full tunnel instead of split tunnel?

Steps to configure internet access via Full tunnel are give at the below link under the section "AnyConnect VPN Client for Public Internet VPN on a Stick Configuration Example" :
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/100918-asa-sslvpn-00.html#anc6
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card