cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access point radiation in a short distance

ced
Level 1
Level 1

We own a Cisco AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 access point and we are attempting to install it for a wi-fi network in our company with it.

The device have previously been used in a wide space of our warehouse.

We would be sure that Wi-Fi radiations are not dangerous for people in a short distance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Cheers, Giorgio Jervolino.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mitch D
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone should be fine.

The maximum transmit power of that access point is 100mW.

That is also a very old model of access point so you may want to upgrade. It does not support 802.11n or 802.11ac

Here's an article on the dangers of Wifi: https://www.howtogeek.com/234817/dont-worry-wi-fi-isnt-dangerous/

View solution in original post

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

That AP is classified to be safe indoors and outdoors, so you should be fine. 
Every wireless device even your phone, transmits radiation and all devices have a SAR(Specific Absorption Rate) rating. 

To make the long story short, that's an indoor AP and you should be fine.
PS: Maybe ask your heads to upgrade your AP? hahah. That's quiet an old model.

Software upgrade, nope, you are not entitled anymore. that device is already End-of-Life
Just buy a new one! haha 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mitch D
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone should be fine.

The maximum transmit power of that access point is 100mW.

That is also a very old model of access point so you may want to upgrade. It does not support 802.11n or 802.11ac

Here's an article on the dangers of Wifi: https://www.howtogeek.com/234817/dont-worry-wi-fi-isnt-dangerous/

Thank you very much for the information.

Is there any site where is explainded how to upgrade this type of device?

Cheers, Giorgio Jervolino.

with "upgrade" mitch refers to buying a new model.de 1242 series is declared end-of-life for some time (2013).

Upgrading "hardware" on the same family is stupid. Im pretty sure he meant, software
Why would you upgrade on the same old family?  :P :P

Regardless, I already said it EOL soo win-win for me haha :P 

The web interface is very hard to configure because of its basicity: creating SID, changing password, etc.

I thought that this should have been solved in a next release of the firmware

Quite honestly, I always configure Autonomous APs via CLI, even today.
Though not saying the UI sucks, the  GUI has improve quite a lot. It's more nicer.

The reason why I do it via CLI is the configuration is more cleaner. Regardless, configs on CLI will always reflect in the GUI so no biggy. 

You have more freedom as well when you configure it via CLI.

I do recommend migrating your network to WLC based deployments.
Dont worry, if the cost is your issue, Cisco has a solution for that called Mobility Express in w/c an AP can become a WLC as well 

The best thing when it comes to WLC deployments is all your APs are managed in a single pane of glass. No more multiple GUIs to access. The best thing about Mobility Express is that you do not need to buy a separate WLC anymore since an AP can fill that role.

The solution is perfect for your requirements.

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

That AP is classified to be safe indoors and outdoors, so you should be fine. 
Every wireless device even your phone, transmits radiation and all devices have a SAR(Specific Absorption Rate) rating. 

To make the long story short, that's an indoor AP and you should be fine.
PS: Maybe ask your heads to upgrade your AP? hahah. That's quiet an old model.

Software upgrade, nope, you are not entitled anymore. that device is already End-of-Life
Just buy a new one! haha 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: