cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add IP addressable ethernet ports to router in Packet Tracer

Matt
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a network with a 2901 router. I added more ports with HWIC-4ESW but it is now clear to me these are not ip addressable as the router cannot assign IPs to them. So I ask, are there any HWICs I can use to add layer 3 ports? If not, how can I added ports to this router or obtain a router with significantly more ports? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

These ports work as layer 2 (switchports) you can configure them under a vlan and then create an interface vlan, You can connect a router on these ports using the same network segment like the interface vlan, for example:

conf t

vlan 100
name test

interface f0/3/0
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
no shutdown

interface vlan 100
ip add 100.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
no shutdown

This network can be included on a routing protocol. Example:

router ospf 1
network 100.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

*Other module can be WIC-2T it is used with serial cables. 

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

These ports work as layer 2 (switchports) you can configure them under a vlan and then create an interface vlan, You can connect a router on these ports using the same network segment like the interface vlan, for example:

conf t

vlan 100
name test

interface f0/3/0
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
no shutdown

interface vlan 100
ip add 100.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
no shutdown

This network can be included on a routing protocol. Example:

router ospf 1
network 100.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

*Other module can be WIC-2T it is used with serial cables. 

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

the same problem, has been puzzle me for two day.
it is lucky to find your help. thanks.

thulanig1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Matt

I have also noticed that event too. When I am trying to add an ip adress to the router ,say 2911 ,it just states that ( invalid input detected at '^ marker. So what do we do ? This is in packet tracer ver 7.0.0.0.202 I am currently using.

So just switch off the router ,add the module which include the GigabitEthernet 0/1 ,0/2 etc ,then power up . Then change you connection cables and use the Gig  as your interfaces. Just don't use the Fastethernet for now. I ran into the same problem ,but now i am just flying!!. 

Hope this helps.

Bye for now 

I'm trying to add Gigabit Ethernet(GLC-LH-SMD) on 2911 router. But I am able to connect it to switch. Please help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card