Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Count increased disabling lower data rates

Hi all,

Trying understand why client count increased exponentially and immediately after disabled lower data rates on the network. No other change was performed and there are no other reasons for that. We are using WiSM2 with 8.0.130 and outdoor APs 1552C.

When I applied this best practice, I was expecting to offer better connection to those clients connected to the network but I did not expect increase client count on the network with this change.

I´m considering that must exist some Bug related with this scenario and low data rates. Try to find some related bug on Cisco bug page but had no luck so far.

Anyone had similar experience here to share?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I dont know how disabling lower data rates helped. With more connections.  If the number increased after disabling the lower data rates, wouldn't you think users would of been complaining that they couldn't connect?  You should compare the client count on each SSID and radio as that would give you better data.  You always can enable it again and see if the number drops. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Client count increased on which radio?  802.11b?  If this is the case, then it's mostly caused by the following: 

1.  Lowering the data rates equals lowering the range or distance covered by the 802.11b radio.  This equates to (significantly) minimizing the co-channel interference. 

2.  Lowering the distance of the 802.11b also means that wireless clients, particularly those running very old wireless NIC drivers (the older the wireless NIC drivers the lesser the chances of those NICs understanding the "concept" of roaming), means that wireless clients have LESSER wireless APs to choose from.  

Client count is nothing, in my opinion.  The most important thing to look for is the amount of authenticated clients.  There are cases where there is a high amount of associated clients but very low amount of authenticated clients.

I dont know how disabling lower data rates helped. With more connections.  If the number increased after disabling the lower data rates, wouldn't you think users would of been complaining that they couldn't connect?  You should compare the client count on each SSID and radio as that would give you better data.  You always can enable it again and see if the number drops. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Scott,

This network is a public  wifi network. We usually dont receive feedback so we need to monitor. I agree with you, disabling lower data rates should lowering client counting, not increase it. We could have client with better connections but not increase client count.

I have only one SSID and client increased in both radios 2.4 and 5.0. We have portal and this is sent by an external service. So, at WLC level the network is open. Associate and authenticate clients has the same counting.

If I fall it back and client count decrease again it will confirm that this change is causing that but I dont believe this explain this behavior.

Might have some bug here! 

I don't think it is a bug. I have done the exact thing you have done when I was consulting at CDW and never saw a difference in client count.  We have also done the exact at Microsoft when I started. There was no client increase but a better user experience. We were also on v8.0.111.0.  If you can replicate it by enabling and then disabling, then TAC would be able to file a bug.  

I have seen customers disable the lower data rates and created coverage holes in their environment. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest because at least now, the user experience should be way better:)

-Scott 

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card