Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FTD on 5508 , how to convert from FDM to FMC

aslam.bajwa
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All ,

i have installed FTD 6.2 on Cisco ASA 5508X , and by mistake i have selected FDM during installation . is there any way to convert it to FMC.

Please advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

configure manager delete

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/command_ref/b_Command_Reference_for_Firepower_Threat_Defense/c_3.html#wp4284863723

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

configure manager delete

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/command_ref/b_Command_Reference_for_Firepower_Threat_Defense/c_3.html#wp4284863723

many Thanks Marvin...

sir how about the licenses? i have already activated the licenses of my FTD via FDM. my licenses includes cisco anyconnect, url filtering, malware protection and threat protection. 

do i need to unregister my license on FTD via FDM and then perform the configure manager delete command and then activate the license in the FMC?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Herald Sison yes you should unregister your licenses with Cisco from FDM first and then let FMC handle the licenses after that. FMC acts as a sort of proxy for licenses of the managed devices.

Thank you so much sir. i have unregistered my license via FDM already and i noticed that the base license was also removed. is it ok?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, once you unregister it is expected that the new FMC registration will restore all licenses, including Base.

Hi Sir,

1 last thing, after removing all licenses in my FTD via FDM and confirmed that all licenses are now vacant then also after entering configure manager delete and the FTD resets to default settings i have few questions after that.

1) will my current FTD version which is 6.6.1 will reset and go back to its original version which is 6.3?

2) after the reset has done how to access the FTD again so that i can configure its interface ip addresss and add it to my FMC? Do need to access the FDM again and set all interfaces IP there?

thats all for now sir

thank you so much for your time

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. De-registering your licenses does not affect the FTD version.

2. FMC connection is via the management address. That address remains unchanged even as you change from FDM to FMC management. Just go into the management cli via ssh or console and use the "configure manager add <FMC address> <registration key>" command to change to FMC management. You can then perform all subsequent changes (interfaces, routing, access control policies, NAT, VPN etc.) from FMC.

thank you so much so for the advise. this is a good help from you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card