Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Policing on BVI and Tomahawk HW

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We need to police traffic on BVI interface. No bandwidth or shaping, just policing ingress and egress.

Here it says that it's not supported

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r6-1/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-interfaces-cg-asr9k-61x/b-interfaces-cg-asr9k-61x_chapter_0111.html#ID-1763-0000005e

Here (version 4.3) it says that it's supported in a way

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-3/qos/configuration/guide/b_qos_cg43xasr/b_qos_cg43asr_chapter_0100.html#concept_0C713A476AC94459A98865A4191D9AAD

On 6.1.3 it does not say anything about BVI. It looks like that Cisco has removed this part?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r6-1/qos/configuration/guide/b_qos_cg-asr9k-61x/b_qos_cg60xasr9k_chapter_0101.html

There is also a bug id about a very similar issue. 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCue38896/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

So, is it possible to police traffic on BVI with Tomahawk HW and XR 6.1.3?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yup yup, no problem for testing smail! believe you have 8k policers with TR's.

x

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi Smail,

classification, marking and policing should be supported on BVI, both on Typhoon and Tomahawk. Is it not working?

Policer at parent level can't use % when applied to BVI. Queuing actions are not supported on BVI (shaping, BW allocation, priority, manual queue-limit).

/Aleksandar

Hi, I have opened a TAC SR 682046542 for this issue.

The TAC engineer has told us that in case of VPLS, BVI QoS is not supported.

I have attached a diagram of my setup. If you have the time you can take a look in the case notes.

In my test I found out that only engrees traffic is matched and policed, i.e. ICMP reply

hi smail,

if you have a bvi in a BD with a few EFP's, the qos policy is effectively programmed on those EFP's. Same as with a bundle interface and its members.

The policy is NOT getting programmed onto the PW, because we dont know where that PW can come in on. This is btw why the PWHE config has a pindown list, so we know the expected hw interfaces to be used, so we can program the QOS and features on those hardware interfaces, again here similar as the bundle members.

so in short, you CAN use QOS, with aleks restrictions btw, but only on EFP's.

if there is a PW in play, you'd need to resort to a PWHE interface and use a pindown list for that feature association.

cheers

xander

Hi,

I did a quick test and it's working fine. The interface where the FTP server is connected is only in the same VRF as BVI999, but not configured under L2VPN.

I have notified TAC (SR 682046542) and I was told that they will correct the documentation for 6.1.x.

Here is a drawing with config

Hi Xander,

we had to stay with BVI QoS without EFP's. Customer demands, nothing I can do.

The thing is that policing is working without EFP but there is a catch. There are three LC's and because the BVI is not tied to an EFP we can see matches and drops on every location.

I did a test with police 2mbps but I got only around 0.5 mbps. So I tried with 6 mbps and got around 2mbps.

Could it be that I have to use police with triple value because the BVI is not tied to an EFP and the policer is distributed to all three locations?

correct smail, the feature on teh bvi is configured on the efp's in the bridgedomain, so what you see is correct.

you could potentially if you have designated vlans for subs, peel out the subif and define as an l3 with the control policy.

realizing that a subscriber may move from one subif to another subif if the stp converges (sub will re-establish)

xander

Hi,

the thing with subinterfaces is that the subscriber is connected on another device and our customer want's to use a PW to the IGW. There is no way to use sub-interfaces. The optimal solution is PWHE (you said that a couple of times) but the customer does not have -SE HW.

There are only a couple of subscribers, but I do not know what could happen if I try PWHE on -TR HW.

hi smail,

you can cofnigure it and it works, but remember that when it comes down to qos, the qos pieces for the subs on the pwhe are programmed onto the interfaces in the pindown list. so shaped qos is pretty much out (since you only have 8 per port) and limited policers.

for BNG also you need SE linecard hardware btw.

xander

Yeah, shaping is out and it's not a problem. Simple policing is enough.

So I can try with PWHE on TR with around 10 PWHE interfaces and simple policing?

btw. it's an IGW running on ASR9912. For BNG we are waiting for PWHE PPPoE on Main interface feature. 

yup yup, no problem for testing smail! believe you have 8k policers with TR's.

x

Hehe that is the answer I was waiting for :)