cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

converged access mobility/new mobility architecture on WLC (5500)

Hello Friends i have got some questions related wireless network1.converged access mobility/new mobility architecture on WLC (5500) ,can anybody explain what are the benefits if i use this.

2.i want to know enabling broadcast in one ssid/wlan is a good or no?

3. i want to assign more internet bandwidth to one specific ssid or vlan, what is the best and easiest option to configure it and how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike Struijk
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say you want to enable your clients to connect to a corporate network with their wireless laptop and their smartphones to a mobile network as well as allow guests to connect to a guest network. You would place your 5520 in a DMZ, hosting the guest and mobile SSID and have your local switches act as a mobility controller hosting the Corporate SSID. You enable new mobility and create a mobility connection between the 5520 and for instance a 3x50, a so called foreign-anchor connection. For this to work you have to enable new mobility on your 5520.

Hope this helps.

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

New mobility is required if you have a mixed deployment of WLC's and Convereged Access. This is required or else if not mixed, then the default in the 5508 is required. As far as broadcast or not, best to just broadcast the SSID as it helps with client stability and hiding doesn't really protect you. If you want to limit throughput on an SSID lever, then use QoS and or bandwidth limitations.  Better to just mark your QoS and ensure that proper traffic or important traffic gets priority.

-Scott 

-Scott

Mike Struijk
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say you want to enable your clients to connect to a corporate network with their wireless laptop and their smartphones to a mobile network as well as allow guests to connect to a guest network. You would place your 5520 in a DMZ, hosting the guest and mobile SSID and have your local switches act as a mobility controller hosting the Corporate SSID. You enable new mobility and create a mobility connection between the 5520 and for instance a 3x50, a so called foreign-anchor connection. For this to work you have to enable new mobility on your 5520.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, thats the answer to my firest question. 2 more to go 

Thank you Abubakar,

Please see if this answers question 2.

Follow the link and look for section: "Why Non-broadcast Networks are not a Security Feature"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/wifi/hiddennet.mspx

Regards,

Mike.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: