Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco phone connect with computer - switch issue

Hi guys ,

Problem description:

When you disconnect or turn off a station connected to your phone, the MAC still appears in the port on the switch for a few minutes. When the station is directly connected to the switch, the MAC drops immediately upon shutdown. It is necessary to check how the MAC can be dropped immediately from the port even when a station is connected through a telephone..

any thoughts to share ?

3 Replies 3

HARIS_HUSSAIN
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think this is normal, As per the guide there is Enhancement for this behavior if in certain firmware.

Think of phone as three port Switch ( One Port Connected to PC, One Port Connected to Switch, and One port to phone itself).

From the guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/identity-based-networking-services/config_guide_c17-605524.pdf

If the device unplugs from behind the phone, the switch cannot rely on link state to know when to clear the session. Dangling sessions can lead to security violations and security holes. Take the situation illustrated in Figure 6 below

Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) Enhancement for Second Port Disconnect:. This feature allows a Cisco IP phone to send a CDP message to the switch when a host unplugs from behind the phone. The switch is then able to clear any authenticated session for the indirectly connected host, exactly the same as if the host had been directly connected and the switch had detected a link down event. 

What is firmware and phone model you are using, try to upgrade the same

Hi ,

thanks for the info .

i am using 78xx.11.-0-1-11

do you know what is the frimware that can

Dear Sharon,

Make sure the Cisco Switch IOS is also supporting the requested Features i.e CDP Second Port Disconnect.

Refer below table from the guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/identity-based-networking-services/config_guide_c17-605524.pdf

Please mark correct if found useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: