Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3850 output queue tuning

bumbucha90
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I encountered an issue with output discards on 1G interfaces during micro bursts from 10G uplinks.

In my case i think i need to make a more efficient buffer allocation on problem interfaces.

I have read an article and something is not clear for me.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/200594-Catalyst-3850-Troubleshooting-Output-dr.html 

Could anyone please give a more detailed explanation to:

"There is no Hardmax buffer since the policy is applied to an interface and it does not have any priority queue with "level" set.

As soon as you apply the policy-map, the 2nd queue gets disabled leaving only 1 queue in the system.

The caveat here is that all packets are going to use this single queue (including the control packets like OSPF/EIGRP/STP).

During the time of congestion (broadcast storm etc), this may easily cause network disruption.

This is true if you have other classes defined but not matching the control packets."

And  . . .

." If you define only 1 class-default, in order to tweak the buffer, all the traffic falls under the single queue (including control packets). Be advised that when all traffic is put in one queue, there is no classification between control and data traffic and during time of congestion, control traffic could get dropped. So, it is recommended to create at least 1 other class for control traffic. CPU generated control-packets will always go to the first priority queue even if not matched in the class-map. If there is no priority queue configured, it would go to the first queue of the interface, which is queue-0."

In my case i need to make two queues:

1. For control plane traffic

2. For all data plane traffic (MAX hard and soft buffers)

How i can characterize control plane traffic for a specific queue?

Do i need it at all?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as I understand it, the below configuration would create two queues, with the first one matching control traffic (DSCP 32, 48, and 56) and everything else going to the default queue:

class-map CONTROL_TRAFFIC
 match dscp 32 48 56

policy-map TWO-QUEUES
 class CONTROL_TRAFFIC
  bandwidth percent 10
  queue-buffers ratio 10
 class class-default

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

as I understand it, the below configuration would create two queues, with the first one matching control traffic (DSCP 32, 48, and 56) and everything else going to the default queue:

class-map CONTROL_TRAFFIC
 match dscp 32 48 56

policy-map TWO-QUEUES
 class CONTROL_TRAFFIC
  bandwidth percent 10
  queue-buffers ratio 10
 class class-default

Thank you for your answer!

Today i studied guide of configuration QoS and reached some understanding of solution - myself.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/qos/configuration_guide/b_qos_3se_3850_cg/b_qos_3se_3850_cg_chapter_011.html 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: