Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility Phone Buttons across different phone types

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

I have a customer who I am moving to CUCM 11.5.

They currently have a mix of 6941 and 7941 phones and are replacing the 7941 phones with 7841 models as part of the upgrade.

The customer currently does not really use the programmable buttons on the phones but wants to start doing so for Pickup, HLog etc.

The issue I am having is getiing the buttons to work when logging a 6941 EM profile into a 7841 phone and vice-versa.

I know that I can set the Phone Button Template in the Default Device Profile for the phone type but really need more flexibility than this offers as each phone type has multiple Phone Button Templates.

Is there any way to do this or am I stuck with the single template supported by the Default Device Profile?

Thanks 

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

You may check the Extension Mobility Equivalency feature explained in the Features and Service guide below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100_chapter_011000.html#CUCM_RF_EDCB3C30_00

Manish

Thanks Manish - that link was really helpful

After some more testing I have discovered 6941 UDPs can log in to 7841 phones and display the correct buttons. Unfortunately the opposite is not true and given that end of software maintenance for the 6900 was reached in 2015 I guess it is not going to be fixed

That's when you need to configure default profiles for the phone models you'll be using, if there is no equivalency, then you'll use that configuration.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jaime,

This customer will have a 60:40 split of 7841 to 6941 phones and they are not willing to replace the older models yet.

They want users to have a consistent experience when logging into phones and one option that seems workable is to define all UDPs as 6941 SIP. This would allow the feature buttons to work whether a user logs in to a 6941 or 7841.

I am wondering about downsides to this option. Will the users lose anything significant by using a 6941 UDP on a 7841 phone? 

One thing I can think of is Opus codec but the customer is not using that at the moment.

Thanks