cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber 11.8.3 - User cannot change Presence Status, Status is shown as available

Hi All,

i have a strange problem. My System is all 11.5 SU2 and my Jabber are 11.8.3 and if the User logs in, his Status is available. If the other Users are logging in, they also are shown as Available.

But if any User wants to change his Status, nothing happens, you click on the Status, choose Away and your Status don't change, your are availbale.

Also if the gets a call or makers a call, he is showing as available.

If i go to the Presence Viewer, this tells me, that the User status is offline.

The IM&P Troubleshooter and Diagnostic shows no errors. Every Configuration seems fine.

Anyone an Idea?

Kinde Regards

Benjamin

11 Replies 11

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

Did you recently upgraded IM&P or CJ4W? If so, when and from what versions? How long have you noticed this problem? I mean, there's several potential causes for presence awareness issues from server/client software bugs, misconfigurations within CUCM, certificate issues between nodes or clusters, problems with intercluster peers or XMPP/SIP Federation... to simply restarting services.

Glancing through the Bug Tool, one Bug ID jumped out to me; CSCvc99521. This bug identified the following problem...

======

Inconsistent Presence status when the user is not added in the contact list

Symptom:
Issue is seen only when user B is not in the contact list of other user A

Conditions:
Jabber A calls B. B is not part of A contact list.
User A presence status changes to 'On a call' but when A search B, B still shows 'Available'

Workaround:
1) Clearing the Jabber cache fixes some of the problems for a limited time.
2) Add each other to contact lists.

======

You can check if this workaround resolves your problem, if so, there you go. If not, well... there's some else likely going on.

Before you do anything else, make sure you understand what's going on and who's impacted. Does this problem impacts all users or only users assigned to a particular node(s). If you can, reboot the IM&P Pub... wait until all of the services are 'Started' and then proceed to reboot the IM&P Subs. If not, try to restart the XCP Router service on all of the nodes. Either way - users will be knocked offline. However, restarting the XCP Router takes less time thus allowing users to login minutes later.

Another recommendation is... you can try downgrading Cisco Jabber on your local desktop. Maybe have a few co-workers do so as well. If you don't notice this problem with v11.8(1) or v11.8(2) then, you can assume this problem is most likely linked to v11.8(3).

HI Mark,

thanks, i have found the Bug ID, but that doesn't helped. I think the Problem is from the bginning, because i have this "Warning" for the XCP Router, which i wrote to Varundeep, see above.

The Users started with Jabber 11.8.2 and i upgraded to 11.8.3, but nothing changed.

I checked the onfiguration twice against the Guides, all is fine.

With Certificates you bring something to my mind. For this Cluster i have no CA, so i'm using the normal Self-signed certificates, which are generated at installation. Have i to interchange the certificates from CUCM and IM&P, could it be a trust problem?

Kind regards

Benjamin

Hmmm Ok. So, I have more questions than answers for you.

1. Do you have a DNS SRV for Jabber? (i.e. _cisco-uds.<domain>). If so, make sure DNS resolves correctly. If not, did you configure the following within the bootstrap or jabber-config file?

AUTHENTICATOR=CUCM

TFTP=<CUCM_address>

CCMCIP=<CUCM_address>

PRODUCT_MODE=phone_mode

2. Do you have deskphones, softphones or both?

3. Did you configure CCMCIP profiles?

4. Do you only notice this problem within the cluster or between clusters (i.e. Intercluster Peers or XMPP/SIP Federations)?

5. Did you upgrade CUCM or IM&P as well?

Hi Mark,

here my answer for your Questions:

1. DNS SRV are in Place and working fine.

Bootstrap and jabber-config.xml has nothing in.

2. Only Softphones

3. Yes, i configured the Profile

4. I have not Intercluster Peer or Federation

5. No, it is an fresh install of both, CUCM and IM&P

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Ok, please checkout the following Cisco doc;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/configAdminGuide/10_5_1/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105/CUP0_BK_CE43108E_00_config-admin-guide-imp-105_chapter_00.html

If you want to run debugging, please review the "Troubleshooting IM and Presence Service" chapter (via the link above) before you do so.

This Cisco doc provides an overview of the CUCM and IM&P services, so you understand exactly what each service does;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/11_5_1/Admin/cucm_b_serviceability-admin-guide-1151su1/cucm_b_serviceability-admin-guide-1151su1_chapter_0101.html

If you still have questions or problems, then please provide screenshots for the following IM&P configs;

1. Presence > Settings > Standard Configuration

2. Presence > Settings > Advanced Configuration

3. Messaging > Settings

4. Messaging > Group Chat and Persistent Chat Settings

If you configured Persistent Chat, then please provide the additional screenshots;

5. Messaging > External Server Setup > External Databases

If you configured Persistent Chat with Compliance, then please include the following screenshots as well;

6. Messaging > Compliance > Compliance Settings

Likewise, if you configured File Transfers... then please include that as well;

7. Messaging > File Transfer

Most of these advanced user features are managed by XCP Feature Services, for example; File Transfers would be managed by the XCP File Transfer Manager service. All of the XCP Feature Services fall under the XCP Router, so if you restarted the XCP Router... you would essentially restart the following services as well;

- XCP Text Conference Manager

- XCP Web Connection Manager

- XCP Connection Manager

- XCP SIP Federation Connection Manager

- XCP XMPP Federation Connection Manager

- XCP Message Archiver

- XCP Directory Service

- XCP Authentication Service

And of course, most of these XCP Services depend on non-XCP Services as well... like Cisco Presence Engine.

My point is... if you didn't configured Persistent Chat, Compliance or File Transfer using the recommended procedures... then, you would likely experience this problem. Did you configure Persistent Chat, Compliance or File Transfer? If not, then you should disable unused features. 

Let me know what happens. Good Luck!!!

Hi Mark,

thanks for this. I've checked it, but doesn't work. I have opened a TAC Case and it theems this is a new defect.

I will keep this Post updaete, waht TAC has found.

Kind regards

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

Did you find the solution? I have the same problem.

New install, IMP version 11.5,  Cisco Jabber for Windows 11.8.4. 

Initially, I thought the issue could because of the new Cisco Directory Integration (CDI) introduced in Cisco Jabber version 11.8. So I installed Cisco Jabber version 11.7 to use EDI, but I still have the same issue. 

Presence status is always "Available". I can't even change the status on Cisco Jabber to "Away" or "Do Not Disturb". The status is always "Available".  Even when I use Cisco Jabber softphone to make a call, the status does NOT change to "busy".

If you were able to find the fix, please let me know.

Regards

Duc

Hi DUc,

i opened a TAC Case and it theems this is a new defect.

There is a defect for Version 10.5, but TAC has found, that i'm not hitting this.

At the Moment TAC is working on it.

Kind regards

Benjamin

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It was an upgrade or fresh install ? How many nodes are there ?

Try rebooting the server and check if it fix or not. Its a server issue not a client issue.

Hi Varundeep,

it is a fresh install. I rebooted the servers several times, nothing changed.

So some more informations:

I have 2 CUCM, 2 IM&P (Cluster and HA activated)

Both IM&P show a "Warning" that the XCP ROuter needs a restart. If i restart the XCP Router on the first Node, the this Messages goes away, if i restart the XCP Router on the second Server both Message are up again. If i restart both IM&P, the "Warnings" come up again.

If a Jabber starts, the Status of the User is Online! User user are Offline, but if they also start there Jabber, they are Online too. 

No User can change there status, you can click on the Status symbol, choose another Status, but then nothing happens, the user is simply Online.

If the User does nothing for 15 Minutes, the Jabber goes to "Away", as this is the normal bevavior. If he gets back, the Status is back to Online.

If the User gets a Call or make one, the Status don't change, he is Online. 

The Users use Jabber in Phone_Only Mode.

If i look at the Presence Viewer on CUCM the User Status is Offline.

Kind regards

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

please note how did u resolve that please

I have the same issue in our two different customers they both have CUCM&IMP cluster in ver 11.5(1)SU2

I found two solutions

1. Assuming users connect to subcluster, try to re-register the user to the him server.

go to User Management->User Presence Assignment

find the user, mark him and click on assign user.

choose other server -> save, and repeat this task but choose the original server.

* You should not re-sign-in the jabber clients because you turn back the same server.

2. try to rebalance all users

this procedure can takes hours so try to do that in the correctly time.

but I still don't know what is the root cause.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: