cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX80 disables laptop audio

cochoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I connect my DX80 to my Lenovo laptop using the HDMI cable to use it as an extended monitor. Audio is fine when at first until I make a couple of calls through my DX80. Then my laptop audio gets disabled. I don't get any sound playing any audio/video files, not even system alert sounds. I can still make calls using my DX80 - mic and speakers from the DX80 work fine. But just no audio from my laptop. To temporarily fix that, I have to reboot my laptop. After the reboot, laptop audio will work again until after a couple calls on the DX80, which then disables my laptop audio again. I've replaced the HDMI cable and it's still the same experience. 

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

After it stops working, does the laptop play the audio fine if its disconnected from the DX80?  If it doesn't, then it's likely an audio driver issue on your laptop.

You haven't mentioned what type of laptop you are using, not the software version on the DX80 - any of those details could help track down where the issue is.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your response. No, the audio is still disabled even after I unplug my DX80 from my laptop. My laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon and the DX80 is running on software version CE 8.3.1 Final 3276302 2017-01-13 . Over the weekend, I was playing with it some more and tried shutting down my running apps one at a time to see if any of them might be hijacking the laptop audio. My first suspicion was Jabber and I was right. As soon as I shut down Jabber, the audio fired up again without the need to reboot! I wonder if this is something others have seen as well. I'll try to reload my audio driver to see if it makes any difference with my Jabber issue. Let me know if you have other questions or suggestions

-Colin

Hi exact same issue here

CE8.3.1 final 3276302 2017-01-13

Lenovo X240 WIndows 7 - patches managed by IT

after a few hours since turned on, the DX disables the PC audio

• the PC shows an output being emitted (with volume meter moving like it was normal), but the DX doesn't play a sound
  • the PC audio works fine if I switch the default playback device to the internal speakers, so not a pc audio issue

• unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable doesn't change anything
  • disabling and re-enabling the device on the PC doesn't change anything
  • the problem goes away by rebooting the DX (not the PC)
  • not sure what the trigger is
    • I tried to place 10 calls after rebooting the DX but the audio didn't disappear
    • today audio disappeared again after at least 3 hours in calls
    • --> it might be related to the device uptime or to the duration of phone calls rather than by just the number of calls placed - maybe some memory leak leading to a driver crash after some time in operation?

Roberto

HEATH FREEL
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue... Jabber does not make a difference in my case. Lenovo X1, Dx80 running CE8.3.2

Reboot of the DX80 is tho only solution. 

Playback devices show the DX80 working, but no sound. I can switch back to laptop speakers and it works fine...

FRUSTRATING!!!

It seems many people are having issues with sound being lost when using the Lenovo devices - so much so that they have added a support page specifically dealing with the issue:

https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/ht501860

The latest software verison for the DX80s is now CE9.1.3 - I'd suggest if you're still running on the old software version that you upgrade your device as there are many bug fixes included in the new version and the many versions in between.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.