cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

malformed microcode cache C2960XR

pierre.sirois
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i'm a bit frustrated now, the 1 (one yes one) page that describes "malformed microcode cache" says it's an RMA affected switch i got in my hands. It's a C2960XR and when i was talking to Cisco help desk, the told me the serial number was tied to a 3750 amongst other discrepancies.

anyone can confirm that i have to RMA before i start the process???

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva30394/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

My snippet

Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Preparing to program device microcode...
Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Preparing to program device[0]...23268 bytes.
Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Programming device 0...rrrrrrwssssssss
% Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: address 0, PROGRAM failed

% Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: unable to program device: 0
% Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: malformed microcode cache

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would try and upgrade the code first and see if that does anything , put it on a recommended image see if that fixes it  but if TAC are saying its a hardware microcode you may have to RMA , Did they go through your show tech to find this out or just check a serial against a list of effected serials they have , did they provide a doc on it ?

a new image should update the micro code , sometimes this can take a while if the code is upgrading

what version are you currently on in your switch

Hi Mark, there are no versions now. it failed the first time from c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5 to c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E3.

i wanted to upgrade to this one to reproduce another bug and it never booted again fully since. The microcode upgrade fails and the hangs at trying to elect a master... it doesn't reboot by itself. i have to go in ROMMON.

Unfortunately i tried to boot switch all to the new code with a USB instead of copying to flash first. When the switch rebooted it couldn't initialize the USB and it's probably what made it fails.

Is there a way to update the microcode only?

Theres a E6 available could you not boot that into flash from rommon and then reload it ?

c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin

see if it comes up on that instead , delet the other ios from flash in rommon

Not sure about standalone microcode you could check with TAC as far as I know the micro code is contained within the actual ios itself

tried E6 as well... it craps at the same place.

I should now assume that it is an RMA affected switch.

Thanks Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: