cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does an AP retain the configured name when moved to another controller?

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I am getting ready to stage offsite several hundred AP's.  I have a 5500 WLC in my lab and would like to prime the AP's on this WLC and then configure the name and ensure that the AP gets the proper code before installing them onsite.

Once I configure the AP naming and verify that the AP has downloaded the code from the WLC will the AP retain the name once it connects to the other WLC which is located onsite?

Thanks, Seth

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, I misunderstood. Once you rename the ap it will keep regalress of the controller it joins. Ap name will stay same .. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Seth,

Histname has to be unique when AP's are in the same mobility group due to the fact that AP's can move to the other controller.  You should never have duplicate host names on the network.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the ap joins the wlc it will remember it but to make sure set the high availability in each wlc. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

Thank you for the quick reply.  When you say if the AP joins the WLC, I just want to make sure we are talking about joining a WLC other than the one the AP was staged with.  And if so, if I don't configure the high availability then it would not remember its name?

Seth

Sorry, I misunderstood. Once you rename the ap it will keep regalress of the controller it joins. Ap name will stay same .. 

Thank you very much.

George,

Do you know if it is a problem for two different AP's to have the same name when they are on two different WLC's that are in the same mobility group?

Thanks, Seth

Seth,

Histname has to be unique when AP's are in the same mobility group due to the fact that AP's can move to the other controller.  You should never have duplicate host names on the network.

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card