cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shaping / PPP Multilink

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a few GRE/IPSEC VPN tunnels configured going over a WAN PPP Multilink.

Can I apply shaping in this setup? Where would the service-policy be attached to? The Multilink as a whole or on the actual Tunnel Interfaces?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends which you want to shape.  I recall a few devices support shaping on both.

If you wondering why you might shape both, you would shape a tunnel for "far side" bandwidth.  You would shape the multilink for a near side CIR.

Not sure if what I am attempting is possible, or a better way of doing things -

I have the following - I am looking to shape the link as a whole to 4Mbps, and also within that shape certain traffic type to only 256k. When I apply this below to the Multilink the router just reboots after a few second with the following error upon reload.

System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash

IOS  - c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M3.bin"

class-map match-any CM_RIG_SHAPE
match access-group name ACL_MAPI_1
match access-group name ACL_MAPI_2

policy-map PM_RIG_SHAPE
class CM_RIG_SHAPE
shape average 256000

policy-map PM_Multilink
class class-default
shape average 4000000
service-policy PM_RIG_SHAPE

interface multilink 1
service-policy output PM_Multilink

The fact the router accepts the config gives some hope, but I'm not surprised that a policy like this also crashes the device.

If you have a support contract, you might open a TAC case and/or just try newer IOS version(s).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card