Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS on cisco voice gateways

Syed
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

I would like to upgrade IOS on a couple of 3945 routers. Find below hardware info and suggest the latest IOS to go with, please.

Current IOS Version: c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M1.bin

Cisco CISCO3945-CHASSIS (revision 1.0) with C3900-SPE150/K9 with 972800K/75776K bytes of memory.

DRAM configuration is 72 bits wide with parity enabled.

255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

254464K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

Also, I do not want to delete the current IOS but would like to switch over to the new version, kindly help me as to how I could achieve this task.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Syed

4 Replies 4

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Syed,

Firstly , u need to check the size of existing flash so that it can accommodate two images.

If the size is available, then , u can upload it and boot the router with new image using command boot system flash0:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/ffun_c/fcf008.html

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Find the flash memory details and advise whether I can have two images or ?

199802880 bytes available (60370944 bytes used)

Thank you

Hi Syed,

Your flash total size is 260MB [summing both available and used]

if your new image is not exceeding 199802880 bytes , then, u can upload new image and boot the router with it.

regds,

aman

Syed, 

1.  Copy the IOS into the router;

2.  Compare the MD5 hash of the file against the MD5 hash found in the Cisco website; 

3.  Change the boot variable string:  Instruct the router to boot the new IOS first and then boot the old IOS (in case the first IOS fails to boot). 

PS:  While you're in the midst of upgrading the IOS, consider upgrading the bootstrap. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: