cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure initial setup Cisco 1852 AP?

ipuello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

After a couple of hours of no success, I decided to come here and ask for help. I'm by no means knowledgeable in Cisco APs, but I am a quick learner. However, the guides I've read just don't seem to lead me in the right direction.

Usually, configuring APs have been fairly straightforward for me: turn on the AP and connect it to the same network, connect to the SSID, open the browser, enter crendentials and the rest is pretty simple. But with this one... I simply don't know how to access it. It's apparently not broadcasting any SSID, I don't see it in the network, can't access through the browser (according to the setup guide it is 192.168.1.1 or mobilityexpress.cisco). I am just trying to set this AP as a standalone.

I've tried both wifi and hard-wired connections on our main switch, using a small separate switch, using an isolated router, and none have seemed to discover the AP. According to the guide, the AP is currently in discovery mode, flashing, red, green and amber. The PoE Ethernet port activity is blinking as normal. I am using the AIR-PWR-C= power adapter. The part number of the AP is AIR-AP1852E-N-K9. It doesn't have the "C" at the end so apparently no mobility express controller, but every solution I find online tells me to log in to the AP which I haven't been able to.

I would try accessing it using the console, but I am afraid I probably don't have the cable needed or the knowledge to do so. Haven't been able to find an updated guide that will tell me step-by-step how to access a Cisco AP using the console on Windows 10.

If someone could point me in the right direction I can definitely get this working, I just need to figure out how to access it and then I am sure I can't take it from there.

2 Replies 2

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,
your issue is not clear. Do you want the AP in a standalone mode? That's not really supported like other APs that have autonomous mode.

What you can do is to convert the AP to mobility mode and set it as a master AP. you can manage the AP then from the ME controller that is embedded within the AP itself (this is if you have only one unit).

It seems you have a lightweight AP and you need to convert it to ME mode.

Check the deployment guide, conversion section:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Good luck.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thank you Amjad for your answer.

Yes, took me a while to research, but you're right I got the CAPWAP AP, the part number without the "C" at the end.

I can connect to the console and everything, the problem is I need the Cisco Mobility Express software in the .tar file, and they have restricted access to that. Apparently you need a service contract or be a reseller to be able to download that?

I am very angry about it, we paid for this full price, I shouldn't need to do that to have access to something that will make the AP we bought work as we need it to. Sending it back for an exchange is not acceptable when I can just download the software and install it.

I don't know what to do. I've sent the reseller I bought this from emails asking for this .tar file, but no response yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card