cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE over IPsec (Rec'd packet not an IPSEC packet)

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

when I configured GRE over IPsec (with crypto profile), I got this error when I enabled keepalive on the GRE tunnel,

*May 16 13:19:02.399: %CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_NOT_IPSEC: Rec'd packet not an IPSEC packet. (ip) vrf/dest_addr= /10.0.7.7, src_addr= 10.0.1.1, prot= 47

basically, this syslog message appeared on the router which keepalive under GRE tunnel was configured,

when I configured keepalive on both sides to be equal, it did not solve the problem, I had to insert no keepalive on both sides, and then only the tunnel came up:

interface Tunnel17

no keepalive

I used the same configuration with crypto map, and did not face this issue, I have modified the keepalive on the tunnel to even be different from each other, and the tunnel worked fine,

is there any reason of this happens !?

4 Replies 4

JP Miranda Z
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi mohammed hashim,

The following link explains really well the difference between using a crypto map and using tunnel protection when using GRE/IPsec tunnels with keepalives:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/118370-technote-gre-00.html#anc7

Hope this info helps!!

Rate if helps you!! 

-JP- 

Thank you for this! I had this exact issue and was pulling my hair out for ages. In my case I couldn't get a GRE tunnel to establish when using crypto map and IPsec profile, or IPsec profile to IPsec profile.. Crypto map to Crypto Map was fine.

Disabling keepalives on the GRE tunnel interface resolved the issue. This is explained on the above link in 2 of the scenarios and the fixes are in the workaround section.

This was very help full for me. The current ENCOR book does not mention the keepalive issue !!!

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have seen this issue before and it was a software bug.

I recommend upgrading to the latest gold star release for your platform.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: