Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC Guest Wifi Error

jeetkulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen this error come through a lot from few days

Status Code 3: "The username specified cannot be used at this time. Perhaps the username is already logged into the system?"

There were no changes made on the config side. We create new guest wifi users every month. Username and Passwords are used by multiple users.

Please suggest some steps before I proceed opening TAC Case.

Cisco WLC: 5508

APs mix of 3500 & 2800i

Software version :8.2.151.0

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check the setting on WLC to use Max Concurrent Logins for a user name.I think its set to 1!!!!

Click on Security > AAA > User Login Policies  and increase the number to 2 or 3.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks.

It is set to 5 at the moment. Do you think I should increase that number?

5 means you can use one username to connect 5 devices at same time to a WLAN.

Just for test(If this is the issue or not): I would suggest to increase it to 8 and try again. 

The Maximum Number of Concurrent Logins for a single user name by default is 0. You can enter any value between 0 and 8. This parameter can be set at SECURITY > AAA > User Login Policies and allows you to specify the maximum number of concurrent logins for a single client name, between one and eight, or 0 = unlimited.

My Personal recommendation: Use one 1, means one username for each device/each guest.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks Scott.

We have been using one login for guest users per month. It was working fine until 1-2 months users started complaining about this error. Has something changed in the recent software release which does not allow this anymore?

I have seen that setting this something's doesn't work well for guest networks unless you are providing a specific login to each user. When having one login that changes per month, you need to possible set this to zero.  For one day or a week, set this to zero and see how many guest logins you have and then at least use that data to determine if you need to set this to a specific value or not. 

This is also a global setting for any SSID's that show a username.  To be honest, I never use this feature because it causes users to complain.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: