cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Traffic QOS

Tyara MM
Level 1
Level 1

How can I do QOS for VPN traffic? I have already done qos pre-classify in the crypto map. Will the following work:

Assuming the remote network is 192.168.10.0/24 and the total available bandwidth is 4mbps. I want to give 1mbps to other traffic and reserve the remaining for the VPN.

What I am a little confused is the service-policy on the inside interface. Is that bad practice?

class-map vpn

match access-group 199

policy-map f0-in

class vpn

class class-default

police cir 1000000

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

violate-action drop

int fastethernet0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

service-policy input f0-in

int fastethernet1

ip address 12.34.56.78 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

service-policy input f1-in

access-list 199 permit ip 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.255 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You usually want it on the outbound interface.

Here is an example going onto a WAN interface with 4Mb/s of actual bandwidth, but that has a much higher physical link speed.

class-map match-any cm-qos-voice
match ip dscp ef
class-map match-any cm-qos-scavenger
match ip dscp cs1
class-map match-any cm-qos-critical-data
match ip dscp cs6
match ip dscp af21 af22
match ip dscp cs2
class-map match-any cm-qos-call-signalling
match ip dscp cs3
match ip dscp af31

policy-map pm-QoS
class cm-qos-voice
priority percent 33
class cm-qos-call-signalling
bandwidth percent 5
class cm-qos-critical-data
bandwidth percent 36
class cm-qos-scavenger
bandwidth percent 1
class class-default
bandwidth percent 25
fair-queue 512
queue-limit 1024 packets

policy-map pm-WAN
class class-default
shape average 4000000
service-policy pm-QoS

interface GigabitEthernet a/b/c
service-policy out pm-WAN

ps. If you use the above approach, mark the traffic coming into the router (if it is not already marked - and voice packets are usually already marked).

Thank you Philip.

I have already done it on the outbound interface. Voice packets are being marked and queued correctly. But the problem is when other traffic on the inbound increases, VPN traffic is affected and so is voice quality. I need to somehow reserve bandwidth on the inbound interface for VPN traffic.

Oh I see.

First lets get the basic thing out of the way; once we have already received the traffic it has already caused the congestion, so we can't not deal with it effectively.

Now pragmatically, yes, do what you are doing.  I like to do that on the inside interface facing towards the users, police everything outbound that is not VoIP traffic down to a smaller value, like 3Mb/s.  It will mean that non-VoIP traffic will never be able to use all the bandwidth you have available - but hey, people also like their phones to work.

Doing it on the inside interface (instead of the outside interface) means you wont accidentally hurt other important traffic - such as traffic needed to rebuild the VPN when the SA expires.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card