cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX70 HDMI out with CE software

Jakub Stroinski
Level 4
Level 4

In one of our conference rooms (small huddle room; 4 chairs) we are using a DX70 as a telepresence endpoint with the Android firmware and using the HDMI out to project to a 55" TV. 

We have gotten the push from administration to switch the room to CE software so that it is the same experience for users as our other conference rooms with SX endpoints. 

Did the upgrade yesterday and quickly found out that Cisco has disabled the HDMI out port. 

Is this by design? It was working in Android, why have we taken a step backwards? Any workarounds?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jakub,

I figured to test further in my lab, and I was not able to get a mirror from the DX70, and I got the same warning you got. From the release notes of the DX series, I see that only HDMI-In is supported.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/ce8/release-notes/ce-software-release-notes-ce8.pdf

I downgraded my DX70 to SE Android, and it worked in HDMI-out mirror.

HTH.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Elias Sevilla Duarte
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is by design in CE software, HDMI out is disabled. This applies only to DX80, as DX70 HDMI out does mirror of the screen.

There are no known workarounds.

HTH.

On my DX70 I get a message saying that I cannot mirror the screen in CE

Hello Jakub,

I figured to test further in my lab, and I was not able to get a mirror from the DX70, and I got the same warning you got. From the release notes of the DX series, I see that only HDMI-In is supported.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/ce8/release-notes/ce-software-release-notes-ce8.pdf

I downgraded my DX70 to SE Android, and it worked in HDMI-out mirror.

HTH.

Shefali Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jakub,

Please refer to the following configuration setting of the DX series device on CE version based on its Admin Guide:

UserInterface OSD Output

Define on which monitor the on-screen information and indicators (OSD) should be displayed. Requires user role: ADMIN

Default value: 1

Value space: Auto/1/2/3

Auto: The system sends the on-screen information and indicators to the system's integrated display.

Range 1-3: The system sends the information and indicators to the specified output.

Choose 1 to send the on-screen information and indicators to the integrated display;

Choose 2 or 3 to send the OSD to a display that is connected to the system's HDMI output.

For more information, you can also refer to the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce82/dx70-dx80-administrator-guide-ce82.pdf

NOTE: Also, please note that the HDMI output (Output Connector 2) is for future use.

Regards,

Shefali Sharma

Hi Shefali

I do not have this option. I only have Auto in the OSD menu...

The menu option was deprecated after CE8.2 it seems. I've downgraded to this version and I have the menu however changing the values does not change the behavior. Nothing outputs to the TV. Does anyone have this working in their environment?

Jakub Stroinski
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for the input guys. I ran this by a colleague at Cisco who researched it with some internal resources and turns out that there is a technical limitation in the device that is preventing them from developing this further. In the Android software they had limited the frame rate for the output using some software workarounds to get this to work. In the DX80 they were never able to overcome this. This option is dead in their books. Guess we need to replace the system in that room. Joy! :s 

The rumour mill at this end agrees with that - and what is rumoured to be the technical issue is that to fit that particular form factor, the screen inside the DX is actually mounted upside-down, so everything has been programmed to account for that design decision.  So, if the output is enabled, and purely mirroring, then the output on the HDMI would also be upside-down.  The Android version, with the reduced frame rate and slight delay was caused by a software hack to invert the screen on the HDMI output.  It's not likely this will be fixed on the current hardware.

Note: all of this is hearsay and none of it based on actual first hand knowledge, so it may all be completely wrong.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: