Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Dual-active detection

DN-555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In VSS documentation, we can see that there are few events affecting the "catalyst 6500 CPU" (Sup2T MSFC CPU) that could cause the loss (or the flapping) of the VSL link:

"

• High CPU utilization can trigger a VSLP hello hold-timer timeout, which results in the removal of all the VSL links from the VSL EtherChannel.
• The effects of system watchdog timer failures are similar to high CPU utilization. These might render the VSL EtherChannel non-operational.
"

To protect against "Dual Active Scenario" (DAS), it is recommended to implement several "DAS detection methods" like: ePAGP, VSLP fast-hello or L3 BFD.

My question is: to make a "DAS detection method" efficient, this method should not be affected by the same "CPU issues" which could lead to VSL link loss (high CPU utilization, effect of watchdog timers…) => so, my question is:

- Which hardware component is responsible for handling “VSLP_fast_hello messages”: is it DFC of the line-card (DFC hardware offload) ? Is it PFC of the supervisor-card (centralized PFC hardware offload) ? Or is it MSFC of the supervisor-card (centralized MSFC CPU processing) ?

- Same question for BFD message (BFD echo mode used for DAS detection)

Thank in advance,

2 Replies 2

agapitca19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Check url below, it might help. Read Unified Control Plane and VSS Inter-switch Communication and Layer 2 per Link Control Traffic sections.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_ch2.html

***Please rate and mark the comment correct if you found it helpful***

Thanks.

Hi,

I already read this document before. It does not answer to the question, it only explain how control-plane traffic is transported and handled over the VSL link. But my question concerns Fast-Hello link or BFD link, not VSL link. And the paragraphs related to "unified control-plane" and "distributed data-plane" do not help either: my question concerns "hardware processing architecture" and a specific case of "forUS/fromUS traffic" (not data-plane traffic) which is: the VSLP fast-hello session and messages (and L3 BFD also).

Thanks anyway,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card