Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DVS Anti-Malware Settings - Difference between monitor and block

johannesgrimm1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

in the Anti-Malware Settings I have the choice between monitor and block traffic. Can somebody tell me what happens when I set the option to monitor? Is the traffic logged only? Or will the DVS inspect the packet and drop only if it's malicious?

Are the malware categories based on URL-categories? I do not understand the concept yet.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Johannes

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Handy Putra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Malware categories are different from URL-categories.

If you look at below user guide and go to page 248, it will list out all the descriptions of malware categories:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/wsa/wsa9-0/wsa9-1/WSA_9-1-1_UserGuide.pdf

Regarding to Monitor against Block.

If the verdict from the scanning engines contain malicious and has been set to block then the appliance will blocks it.

If the verdict from scanning engines contain malicious and the setting set to Monitor, it will still deliver the content to the client with the verdict logged in the appliance logs.

If one of the scanning engines inside DVS has been set to block while the rest is monitor and found there is malicious threat in the request, it will overwrite it and block automatically.

You can get more details from the user guide as well on page 235

Regards

Handy Putra

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Handy Putra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Malware categories are different from URL-categories.

If you look at below user guide and go to page 248, it will list out all the descriptions of malware categories:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/wsa/wsa9-0/wsa9-1/WSA_9-1-1_UserGuide.pdf

Regarding to Monitor against Block.

If the verdict from the scanning engines contain malicious and has been set to block then the appliance will blocks it.

If the verdict from scanning engines contain malicious and the setting set to Monitor, it will still deliver the content to the client with the verdict logged in the appliance logs.

If one of the scanning engines inside DVS has been set to block while the rest is monitor and found there is malicious threat in the request, it will overwrite it and block automatically.

You can get more details from the user guide as well on page 235

Regards

Handy Putra