Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller T1 pri timeouts

sean-boston
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community;

Is there a timeout setting for T1 controllers or D channel interfaces? It appears that every Sunday my T1 controllers timeout and the only way to get things working again is to shut/no shut the T1 controllers.

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't see anything unusual in the config. Is this something that was working and just started or it has always been this way?

For what it is worth I don't think adjusting the timers is the way to go. If it stays up all week long and just fails over the weekend down time, adjusting the timers may cause more problems than help. Just my two cents.

I would get with the carrier and find out what they have to say. Especially when the channels are in the restart state and have them explain what they see. (The problem may be on their end).

I did parse through the BUG Search Tool and couldn't find anything. But that sometimes isn't 100% accurate. So for lack of any other avenue to pursue, like I said earlier,try upgrading the IOS to 15.6.3M2.

Short of that, again a CCO case may be in order if it is possible. They may have someone that can get deeper into the ISDN signalling and figure something out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if you want to bounce anything else off me just say so.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you elaborate on what you mean by timeout and what logs or indicators show the controller or D channel times out?

Thanks

Monday to Saturday the controller and D channels seem fine. It is on Sunday at some point when they go to "sleep". Monday morning when we try to fax something it doesn't go out. We do a shut/no shut on the controllers and things start to work again.

They only thing in the log is our shutting down and bringing up the D channels. The D channels are interfaces s0/2/0:23 and s0/2/1:23.

Does this help?

So on Sunday at sometime the PRI stops processing calls possibly due to inactivity. I assume since it is the weekend. On Monday you bounce the PRI and everything works again. Does that sound like an accurate description?

Is this something that has been working for a while and just started to happen or a new deployment?

It may be a good idea to try to further diagnose the problem when it is happening. Suggest that on Monday prior to resetting the controller do the following:

1- Get the outputs of:

sh controller t1 0/2/0 & 0/2/1

sh isdn status

sh isdn service

sh isdn call rate

2- Do a "debug isdn q921: for about 15 - 30 seconds and log the output.

3- Do a "debug isdn q931" make a call and log the output.

That is an accurate description.

I will get the outputs of the commands as you suggested and post here.

Thank you for your help thus far.

attached is the configuration.

I don't see anything unusual in the config. Is this something that was working and just started or it has always been this way?

For what it is worth I don't think adjusting the timers is the way to go. If it stays up all week long and just fails over the weekend down time, adjusting the timers may cause more problems than help. Just my two cents.

I would get with the carrier and find out what they have to say. Especially when the channels are in the restart state and have them explain what they see. (The problem may be on their end).

I did parse through the BUG Search Tool and couldn't find anything. But that sometimes isn't 100% accurate. So for lack of any other avenue to pursue, like I said earlier,try upgrading the IOS to 15.6.3M2.

Short of that, again a CCO case may be in order if it is possible. They may have someone that can get deeper into the ISDN signalling and figure something out.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if you want to bounce anything else off me just say so.

Hello;

It has always been this way. Thank you for all your help. If anything it has been a sanity check for me to make sure I didn't configure something wrong.

You have been a lot of help.

Thanks again

Sean

Here is the output from the commands. I hope it helps.

So it looks like it is something in the PRI signalling where the router is sending a restart and not getting a response, thus the state of all the channels being 4 (restart) and not 0 (idle). Unfortunately it could be several things and nailing it down might be tough.

1- Could you identify the router platform, IOS and if possible post the config?

2- I assume these PRIs don't get used overnight, so they are idle for quite some time and stay up during the week, but during longer periods over the weekend you have the issue. That being said, it may be a bug and a CCO case may provide some resolution. Or simply try upgrading the IOS.

3- Contact the provider to see if they could provide any information or identify what is happening. I know that could be an effort in futility, but sometimes you get someone who actually knows what is going on.

It is a VG320 running 15.6(3)M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: