cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS with DSCP optimized for SaaS on RV325

Vvest8888
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV325 router. We have a 10/10 mbps dedicated fiber line, and 6 computer users, as well as several other networked devices. I've applied bandwidth management so that theoretically no one IP can pull more than 1.5 mbps at a time. Generally things run ok, except when someone goes to download something, or scan to our cloud storage. Each user is running a Thomson Reuters SaaS with 2 to 5 client applications open at any given time. If the latency goes too high, the Citrix receiver will cut out, and the programs will drop, potentially losing recently entered data. I'm new to adjusting QoS/ DSCP settings on the router. Most of the information and examples I can find revolve around optimizing for VoIP or video streaming. I'm trying to find out how I can optimize for the SaaS connection, and keep downloads/ uploads from blowing out the connection, while still completing in a reasonable amount of time. 

2 Replies 2

guigutie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello 

What is the configuration you set on the bandwidth management option for the router? If we only focus on the 6 computers the correct configuration to use would be:

Go to System Management > Bandwidth Management

Bandwidth Management Type: Rate Control

On Rate Control add the interface that is subject to bandwidth management (WAN1, WAN2, USB), click Add and enter the settings:

Interface— If your internet connection is on WAN1 then select WAN1.
Service— The simplest way would be to choose All Traffic.
IP—This is the range of the LAN IP addresses that this rule will affect. If you want the whole subnet to be affected then use for ex. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. If you only want one IP to be affected just input the same IP on both fields.
Direction—Select Upstream for outbound traffic. Select Downstream for
inbound traffic. 
Min. Rate—Minimum rate in kb/s for the guaranteed bandwidth.
Max. Rate—In your case, it would be 1500 kb/s in the downstream direction.

With this configuration, you should be able to limit the bandwidth as you want to.

I appreciate the response, but if you see in my initial post, I've already applied the bandwidth management settings using those steps. My issue now is that with those limits in place, whenever someone downloads something or uploads something large, it slows everyone else on the system down to a crawl. The settings I'm trying to adjust currently are under Port management>
Map dscp to queue
map cos to dscp

In order to prioritize browsing and SaaS services over download and upload traffic.