cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8831 Conf Phones Contiuosly lose registration

Lonnie Nagel
Level 1
Level 1

Have on campus various 7841, 7851, 79xx and then about a dozen or so 8831 conf phones.  All phones register and work fine EXCEPT for the 8831s which continuously lose registration with CUCM.  The solution is always the same - unplug ethernet cable and replug.  I have looked and looked and looked and cant figure this out

This are SIP Phones running 8831.10-3-1SR2-2

Again - problem only exists with 8831 in all campus locations

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lonnie,

I would try to upgrade the firmware on at least a couple of the 8831's to 10-3-1SR3 as there are a few registration related bugs that are known to affect 10-3-1SR2;

CSCuh18303

CSCuy82145

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lonnie,

The first thing you can do is try and swap one of these 8831 IP phones with a known working 78XX or 79XX phone and see if the issue follows the phone or the switchport. If the issue follows the switchport then you can verify the switchport and other network config between the Ip phone and the cucm to which it registers, checking for any SIP or TCP signaling drops. Else, this would require packet captures from one of the 8831 to understand why it unregisters.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Yes we have already narrowed down to an 8831 issue OR 8831 Config OR CUCM (but only on 8831) issue as the drops work fine for other phones. 

And then, of course,  the odds of every drop that we happened to plug an 8831 into - is a bad drop.- are astronomical

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lonnie,

I would try to upgrade the firmware on at least a couple of the 8831's to 10-3-1SR3 as there are a few registration related bugs that are known to affect 10-3-1SR2;

CSCuh18303

CSCuy82145

Cheers!

Rob

Have upgraded all 8831s to 8831.10-3-1SR3-5 - Seemed to be fine for a couple of days.  This morning I see that I have one that is showing as unregistered - again.

Getting pretty irritated with these - any other suggestions -

Anyone else experiencing like behavior?

Thanks

I am experiencing the same issues.  Find a solution yet?

So oddly enough - it appears the

Active Load ID:

sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5

does much better regarding drop offs

I had been up for about 9 days on all conference phones.  WHen I saw your post I took a look in Call Manager and I one 8831 phone showing asUnregistered.

Just sent a tech to take a look but it appears that the behavior still happens but less frequently with SR3-5

I am now firmly convinced that this is a firmware issue and Im very surprised that I am not seeing others with the same issue.  Maybe not that many 8831 out there?  anyway the SR3-5 should "help" your issues - has it not?

I am upgrading them now to that rev.  issue just started happening today on 10+ 8831s after months of stable use (after upgrading to 11.5). 

thanks for the quick reply, i will update if i continue to have issues after the upgrades. 

Yea - we are at

11.5.1.11900-26

Update - It appears that when a user unplugs the phone that call manager reports status as "unregistered"

I also have one 8831 showing as "None" - which Im told has never been plugged in

Not sure why users want to unplug a conference phone but the point is - it appears that the new firmware update on my 11.5 version of CUCM has resolved my 8831 Phone issues.

Just curious - does anyone have a list of all possible status designations for Call Manager?  - I did googly that but haven't been able to find the document that details each status.  I think I can stick a fork in this one

Upgraded firmware in environment recently SR3-5 and same issues as before when on different firmware. It may be happening less but we have about 100 of these devices. This has been going on in our environment over a year

I already have the said Firmware (sip8831.10-3-1SR3-5). However i am facing similar issue on 8831.

randomly the Phone would unregister and needs a reboot to register it again.

Hi
So any update on the resolution of this problem? I have a few 8831 that keeps losing registration. sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2

is there a solution to this problem? I have few 8831 with software version  sip8831.10-3-1SR4-2 on CUCM System version: 11.5.1.13902-2 and we are facing the same "phone not registered" error form time to time.

Thank you.

A bit late with my reply, but your best bet is to take a packet capture from the phone and check what packets are being sent, it may be the KeepAlives getting timeout.

For the time being you can get console logs and look for any KeepAlive timeouts or similar errors.
"No king rules forever, my son."