cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber lacks features from Cisco Unified Personal Communicator

Alpha Rafael
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working with an organization that just replaced Cisco Unified Personal Communicator with Cisco Jabber. So far, users are excited about the ability to share their screens and use remote control.

However, some employees have experienced disruptions in their workflow due to features Personal Communicator had which Jabber lacks. A couple of these have to do with the call window - the one that pops up when they receive an incoming call. One issue is that the window takes up a relatively large portion of their screen, but there is no way to resize the screen, is there? If not, it would be great to see this feature added. A second issue with the call window is that it only shows the number of the caller before they pick up the call - once they pickup, they can no longer see the phone number. In Personal Communicator, they were able to see the number the whole time, and the window size was smaller. Since some users are working in call centers, being able to see the phone number while on the call makes it easier for them to verify that the number matches what is on file. Yes, I know there are other ways they can see the phone number, but it was more convenient for them to see it on the call window.

We've also had a couple of complaints regarding custom or personal statuses. In Personal Communicator, there was no limit (that I know of) regarding how many custom statuses of any one color a user can have saved. But Jabber only remembers the most recent 3 custom/personal statuses of any one color, after which point older custom/personal statuses are gone. Additionally, Personal Communicator allowed users to delete individual custom statuses. In Jabber, individual statuses cannot be deleted - all custom/personal statuses must be deleted simultaneously.

Personal Communicator also allowed users to set an out-of-office status, such that they could tell others they were out of the office until June 26th, for instance. However in Jabber, once someone logs out they simply appear as offline regardless of what their status was prior to logging out - no out of office option is available.

There is a caveat to what I last said – sometimes when users log out of Jabber, they actually will show up as something other than offline. If, for instance, someone shuts down their PC without exiting/logging out of Jabber, they continue to show as “Away.” But anyone who sees that person as “Away” will then see the person as offline if they themselves log out of Jabber and then back in. It’s as if the Jabber client is failing to see that another user is offline if that other user doesn’t logout/exit Jabber manually.

Can anyone help me with any of these issues?

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to get in touch with your SE to submit PER's along with the business case for each feature, so that the BU can consider them for future releases of Jabber (or if that might require something to be changed in the IM&P server)

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: