Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre type

Zeeeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Sorry if this post is not supposed to be here.

I am inserting X2-10GB-SR to my 6509. How can i know if i should plug in SC/UPC or SC/APC into it?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For connecting switches, routers, servers, and all the other network components, you just need regular SC/UPC.  APC is used to connecting patch panels together and also for other application like GPS, video, etc.... as it gives you a tighter connection but it will not work on network equipment.

So, just use SC/UPC. Most of the time, it is just simply called SC.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

X2-10GB-SR

SR means Short Range.  This means SC/UPC or SC/APC don't apply because they are meant for LR.

X2 means the patch cable at one end should be SC multi-mode.

Hi Leo,

I understand that the patch cord has to be multimode. If SC/APC and SC/UPC are for LR, may i know which is for SR?

LR/Single mode cables are "normally" yellow.

SR/Multimode vary - orange, or newer ones are aqua/blue.

If the devices are in the same room, you should have no problems if optical interfaces and cables are all the same kind.  However, if you have panels and other intermediate cables, they ALL should be the same end to end (single or multimode).  You can't mix and match cable types.

PS - what are you connecting to at the other end?  It's device (whether X2 or SFP+) should ALSO be designated SR.  You can't interconnect an SR and an LR optical interface.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

SR stands for "short reach". This means you need multi-mode fiber.

SR=short reach

LR=long reach

HTH

Hi Reza,

Im aware of SR and LR but patch cords are labelled as SC/UPC or APC. Or did u mean as long as its multimode, it will be fine?

Hi,

For connecting switches, routers, servers, and all the other network components, you just need regular SC/UPC.  APC is used to connecting patch panels together and also for other application like GPS, video, etc.... as it gives you a tighter connection but it will not work on network equipment.

So, just use SC/UPC. Most of the time, it is just simply called SC.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: