cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber windows client

miket
Level 5
Level 5

where does jabber on a windows PC get its time from?

I cannot seem to find an exact answer.  Since it is a windows client I suspect it is windows that provides time

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It does seem that it gets the time for messages and calls from the local PC, at least that's what I see in the messages and the call records.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It does seem that it gets the time for messages and calls from the local PC, at least that's what I see in the messages and the call records.

HTH

java

Jamie, thank you as always I appreciate your responses.  I had issues with customer thinking CUCM supplies time but that is not the case as you confirmed,.

Thanks again

Jamie, customer is saying that when they send message between two clients the time is 4 minutes out and it doesn't match pc time. Mime matches PC. Any thoughts. Release notes imply pc.

Jamie, I opened a PDI for where the time comes from and the said PC, however he asked me to reboot the presence servers as there was a bug that looked same. I rebooted the servers and verified the NTP status and CUCM , Unity and IM&P times are spot on.

The Jabber chat is still off. seems like 4 mins. I am at point maybe opena TAC case. Any thoughts

an update , Jabber, PC and Phone all have same time. When the send a chat message it is the message that looks like the reply takes 4 minutes but they are desks side by side so they can verify the times. This is a different scenario than the time is off by 4 minutes.

Any thoughts

I could only think that it might be IM&P or a compliance server that are delaying the messages, you'd need to sync everything to the same NTP and read the logs in IM&P to see at what time it got the message, and at what time it relayed it to the destination.

HTH

java

Jamie, I pulled the IM&P logs and it showed the answer. The issue was the chat window should PC time which is correct, the message time from IM&P. The Laptop said 8:20 and the message in chat window showed 8:15. The IM&P showed 8';15. The problem was the NTP servers were the same on the PC and the CUCM cluster however different order of the NTP Servers. The PC was using the AD domain controller and the CUCM Pub was a 2911 router set as a stratum 1. The 2911 was 5 minutes behind. I changed the CUCM Pub to the AD domain controller but the NTP trest failed on CUCM stating that the NTP source was a stratum 5 or higher. At this point I set the PUB back to the 2911 and set the time so it matches AD and all time now looked okay on Jabber chat. I will talk to the customer and ask them to open the firewall to allow NTP traffic. The 2911 will drift again and we will end up in crap again.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for letting us know what was the problem.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: