cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wap121 wds bridge

jasonpiitz
Level 1
Level 1

I've been "tinkering" with a setup in my little lab here and have a cisco rv130w and 3 wap121's

i'm trying to understand WDS bridging vs WDS repeater (and Workgroup Bridging) 

and when i would use on versus another?

i think i can set them up properly (i think)

i'm just trying to understand what the main technical differences are

any links or insight is appreciated

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you are doing well, my name is Jonathan and I am part of the Small Business department here at Cisco.

when we configure WDS Bridge, we want this feature to allow the devices to roam so that we have connectivity across the different locations on a building without noticing the change from one access point to the other. Now when we configure WorkGroup Bridge, what we are doing is giving wireless capabilities to any devices that does not have a wireless card, so for example you have a desktop and a couple of access points wap121, you will use one to propagate the SSID to all of the clients and the other should be connected to the desktop thus making it possible for the computer to connect via wireless, below I will leave the link for the administration guide so you can see the steps to configure both features. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you are doing well, my name is Jonathan and I am part of the Small Business department here at Cisco.

when we configure WDS Bridge, we want this feature to allow the devices to roam so that we have connectivity across the different locations on a building without noticing the change from one access point to the other. Now when we configure WorkGroup Bridge, what we are doing is giving wireless capabilities to any devices that does not have a wireless card, so for example you have a desktop and a couple of access points wap121, you will use one to propagate the SSID to all of the clients and the other should be connected to the desktop thus making it possible for the computer to connect via wireless, below I will leave the link for the administration guide so you can see the steps to configure both features. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf 

Thanks.

thanks Jonathon

I think i'll focus on WDS bridge

I can't think of any application where i would use a workgroup bridge

or customer environment

thanks again

Jason