cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 Site to Site VPN slow

itsupport
Level 1
Level 1

I went through the basic site to site tunnel setup and the throughput is horrible. ISP speeds on both ends of the tunnel are 500 down 50 up. Current LANSpeed tests are anywhere from 8-10. Am I missing something or do I need to make some settings in my advanced portion of the VPN setup page?

IKE with preshared key

local and remotes are set using IP Only / remote security group type of subnet / mask of 255.255.255.0 on both sides- connection works it is just slow

IPSec settings:

Phase 1 DH Group: Group 2 1024 bit
Phase 1 Encryption: DES
Phase 1 Authentication: SHA1
Phase 1 SA Lifetime: 28800
Perfect Forward Secrecy: checked
Phase 2 DH Group: Group 2 1024 bit
Phase 2 Encryption: DES
Phase 2 Authentication: SHA1
Phase 2 SA Lifetime: 3600
Minimum Preshared Key Complexity:Enable

key - .......

The only thing set on under advanced is Dead Peer Detection - 10 seconds - which is default

I have seen hundreds of post saying use different equipment - not an option. The RV320 should be capable of doing the job it was built for.

1 Reply 1

cbjwthwm
Level 1
Level 1

I've also found the RV320 caps around 3Mb using LANSpeed tests over PPTP tunnels with a 150/15Mb cable connection.  An old RV180 series with the same type of cfg, connection and environment has full 15Mb throughput.

Forcing high priority to the ports or protocols involved had no effect, nor did setting rate rules to 15Mb or a full reset to defaults and reprogramming with the latest RV320 firmware in place.

We upgraded from a 50/5Mb connection specifically for this purpose, only to find the RV320 was the bottleneck despite having stated throughput rates far beyond 15Mb on the VPN protocol specs that Cisco does publish in the device's data sheet.

The RV34x series does claim 25 PPTP tunnels (vs 10 on the RV320) and a throughput rate of 100Mb for PPTP, but the RV320 should be capable of far more than 3Mb (and not be embarrassed by a plastic, discontinued RV180 series with firmware from 2.5 yrs ago).