cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR 4000 - alternative solution to BSTUN?

rays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There, i understand that the ISR 4Ks do not support BSTUN / STUN protocols for tunnelling serial traffic over IP. Does any one know what the workaround / alternative solution is for the ISR 4Ks?

I am looking to take traffic inbound on a serial interface and tunnel this to a remote location where a serial device is connected off the router at that remote location.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have actually done this before a  long time ago.  I used the "autocommand" option, and configured one port to telnet to the port on the remote router.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 4K's support L2TPv3.  I have used L2TPv3 a lot with Ethernet tunnel.  I have not used it for serial tunnelling - but I know it supports this as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6587/products_white_paper09186a00800a8444.shtml

Hi Philip, thanks for your reply and link to the whitepaper.

Essentially what we are trying to do is extend RS232 serial over IP.. I cant find anything specific in terms of config guides to say this can be done over L2TPv3 although i agree that this seems to be the way to do it..

Serial Tunneling Data Aquisition

We previously were able to do this using BSTUN which was supported on the ISR2900 routers.. I need to be sure before the customer purchases a couple of ISR4Ks..

Has anyone else experience of setting this up on the 4Ks?

Thanks

Ray

I have actually done this before a  long time ago.  I used the "autocommand" option, and configured one port to telnet to the port on the remote router.

Thanks Philip. We will try with L2TPv3 and if this is not possible then will try the 'autocommand' option!

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Hi,

Did you have any success? I have a similar issue with Modbus RTU packets in on a serial interface, but the xconnect command is only available with HDLC and PPP port encapsulation, both of which puts the serial interface into a down/down state.

Hi rays,
Can you post a configuración example of the solution, I am having the same issue.

missengineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rays

Did you solve your problem? I have same issue and its really urgent.. Can you share your solution if you have? Thank you..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card