Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Persistent Configuration Template, Password Update

Hello,

I have around 100 C.E. Endpoints which I have started managing through LDAP.

I'm running TMS 15.3

I have successfully established TMS connection to the endpoints through an AD service account (IE vtcadmin@email.com) so I don't have to manually change passwords on all endpoints.

When I create the persistent template for TMS to change the password it works on all systems that are currently online.

The frustrating bit about all of this is that when the persistent template is pushed and some endpoints are offline the persistent template does not update the password when the endpoint does eventually come online, it just gives me 'wrong username or password' status.

How can I get TMS to apply the updated persistent template service account password that's been updated while the unit was offline?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TMS is going to want to try a connection test to the endpoint when you change the password, doesn't matter if it's via configuration template or manually be you. You can contact TAC, maybe they can figure out a workaround, but I doubt one exists, only other option is to contact your Account Manager and open a feature request.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

TMS can update the password that it uses when communicating with managed endpoints, as well as update the password on the endpoint itself, but TMS must be able to communicate with the endpoint for it to work.  Since the endpoints are currently offline and already have different passwords than what TMS has, your only option is to update the password manually for each endpoint after they've come back online.  Someone had a similar issue as you, you can see what they've tried here: reset-connection-password-all-vc-end-points-tms.

Right the thing is that the endpoints don't have a different password than what TMS has, the endpoints are managed through AD so there are no local passwords on the endpoint. The only password that matters is what TMS has stored. Therefore it shouldn't matter if the endpoints are offline because as long as TMS provides the AD password then the endpoint will allow access.

There is no work around for this? Seems like a pretty big oversight to me

I have seen that thread before I started mine, I figured there was a work around if the endpoints are managed by active directory service accounts.

TMS is going to want to try a connection test to the endpoint when you change the password, doesn't matter if it's via configuration template or manually be you. You can contact TAC, maybe they can figure out a workaround, but I doubt one exists, only other option is to contact your Account Manager and open a feature request.

Yeah I have a TAC case open I was hoping someone on these boards had a similar issue. Thanks for the confirmation though!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: