cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shaping on physical interface works for sub-interface?

samuelli6
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

would you please help check whether below shaping configuration works?

policy-map parent-ce-out
class class-default
shape peak 102400000
queue-limit 800 ms
random-detect

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description WAN i/f to ISP
bandwidth 102400
no ip address
no ip proxy-arp
duplex full
speed 1000
service-policy output parent-ce-out
hold-queue 240000 out
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
no cdp enable

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Traffic from subinterfaces will follow to the physical interface. 

This means that if you clarify your traffic and apply the service policy to your physical interface, it'll work. 

In your case, applying the shaping for all traffic (class default) should work by applying it to the physical interface. 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have a physical gig hand-off but a 100 Mbps CIR?  If so, if possible, run the hand-off at 100 Mbps.

I'm unsure how your queue-limit 800 ms will interact with your shaper.  I.e. Whether the queue limit will be based on your shaped rate or your physical interface rate.

I see you've enable WRED (with default settings) - I generally recommend against using it unless you're a QoS wizard.

Often shape peak runs at 2x the CIR rate.  If so, this is want you want?  If not, use shape average.

I'm also unsure how your hold-queue 240000 will interact with your service policy.

Thank you so much for you answer, when u said "shape peak runs at 2x the CIR rate" , does that means customer will over the rate limit 100mbps enforced by ISP?however, I did check with ISP and they told me they didn't see any violation at their side. Moreover, Customer was seeing input errors on the physical link when production traffic was on. 

Thanks!

does that means customer will over the rate limit 100mbps enforced by ISP?

Yes.

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Sorry i answered your party based on the title because I thought your question was applying a service-policy on a physical interface when using subinterfaces. 

If your question was more on the qos config, Joseph has said quite everything. 

Sorry again if I misunderstood your question

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card