cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Exchange Org. Name

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

If we decide to leave Unity Enterprise in the same NT domain but change the<br>organization in Exchange, is there a way to do this? Can we save the custom<br>greetings, profiles and callhandlers and then restore these into an existing<br>Exchange Organization? Also, what are the specific concerns for doing an<br>emergency recovery should it be necessary? Please be as detailed as<br>possible so we can incorporate this into our current scenario.<br><br><br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

There’s two parts to this question.

The Disaster recovery issue is pretty straight forward. We recommend a complete tape backup of your Unity box, including the Exchange directory. You can do this on line if you’re using an appropriate backup package. The one we’ve tested in house is Backup Exec which works pretty well. I don’t recommend the built in one that comes with Exchange… it’s free, but it has a lot of short comings. This doesn’t seem to me to be the place to be cutting corners.

Changing the organization name in Exchange is a different story. They do have a “MoveServer” tool to help with stuff like this but it’s got some problems, not the least of which is it doesn’t handle custom objects and properties terribly well and has a tendency to do bad things at the wrong time. If Unity is installed on the server, the move server tool will fail. Most folks don’t trust it in general regardless.

You’re only good option is to reinstall, as you noted. We don’t have an Export/Import tool for all Unity objects at this point so the short story is you will have to rebuild it from the ground up. You can check out the call handler export/import tool on my web page which will get all your call handlers, greetings and the like for your audio text applications but it wont backup everything else. Be aware this is not supported by Active Voice at the moment so you have to use it at your own risk.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: