cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 Client Software Products and MCM

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

I need to find out what end-user H.323 videoconferencing client software products interoperate with Cisco Multimedia Conference Manager? Does anyone have a recommendation for one?

7 Replies 7

spomeroy
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco MCM is compatible with standards-based H.323 videoconferencing products from all the major players. We and our customers have used the MCM and IP/VC products with endpoints from Polycom, VCON, PictureTel, Zydacron, Tandberg, Sony, and VTEL.

johcarter
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy:

In a word - all of them. But they must be fully h.323-compliant software endpoints.

So, I know Microsoft Netmeeting works because I use it from time to time, but I have not tried the others such as White Pine.

Regards,

Philip

rodrigue
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, I need for my customer a H323 vidéoconférencing client software to opérate with IPVC 3520 (Gatekeeper included)in order to test multiconférencing and multiwindows (4 windows)on each PC.

Rodrigue:

I'm not sure how you want to test four windows on a single PC. I don't know of a PC powerful enough to code and decode four separate h.323 calls in software. However, if you are talking to an MCU, the MCU (Cisco 3510 for example) may have the capability of combining multiple sites into a quad screen image. But this is only one call from each client. The MCU combines the four images into one return signal. I think Netmeeting is possible what you're looking for, but I have not tested the quad-screen functionality - only the multipoint funtionality. There may be a problem: Netmeeting may be limited to QCIF resolution images. The quad-screen image coming from the 3510 combines 4 QCIF images into a single CIF resolution image. I don't know if Netmeeting handles CIF resolution. Give it a try. It is free, after all. But - don't expect full resolution or 30fps from a software-only h.323 solution. Good luck.

-Philip Carter, Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco.

John,

Is there any documentation on configuring the 3510 MCU with netmeeting clients? We are in the early stages of putting together an IP/VC system with gatway, MCU, and MCM. I would like to get just the MCU and endpoints (netmeeting), working so I can demo the system.

-Tim Grogan, USAF

I take it you are having problems with Netmeeting clients connecting to the MCU?

Netmeeting will only register capabilities that the 'plug ins' make available. A video capture card which does not support H.323 fully (minimum of QCIF/H.261, G.711, G.722/3/8/9, likely H.263, CIF and other audio codecs) will not successfully connect. Log in to your MCU via telnet (username admin, pw cisco) and try to connect. You should see what capabilities your client is advertising to the MCU and the output is useful in determining the problem.

Greg

rkaplan
Level 1
Level 1

Our compnay has a scheduling and control software called VC Wizard which works with the Cisco IP/VC 3510 and 3540. our web site is www.aceltd.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: